Car boot bounty (again) - an axe this time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Mooching around the car boot, on the lookout for buoyancy jackets for my new sport (canoeing) I came across the following axe. The head is clearly hand forged with hammer marks still evident. A lovely looking axe, and for £5 I simply could not resist it. Well, £4.70 actually since I'd spent 30p of my £5 budget on 3 pieces of leather earlier.

P8290172.JPG

P8290170.JPG

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
Nice hand axe.It's known as the Kentish axe.It clearly has some age,but is probably mass produced.No Smithy worth his reputation would have left a rough finish.The design was very popular until comparatively recently.A good find,and worth every penny.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Great find there bhofmann,nice to see yours in such good condition ,the ones i find i have to clean up and rehandle.Thanks for sharing.
Darren

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Nice Kent pattern indeed.

A snedding (limbing) axe by design I gather. Also used by hedgers, coppice workers and many many others as a general tool. Not much suited to splitting but makes a fair carving axe, I have a few & really like them.

Is there no stamp on the other cheek?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I got a 53 volume set of Dennis Wheatley novels (no interest for me but an author whos comming back into fashion)

and a bidet with fittings.

A friend offered me several axe heads (mostly kentish) but nothing took my eye.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
EDs, yes, I think it does

what were you offering to swap?

my bidet is a pretty fawn shade with gold plated fittings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE