Cape Wrath Trail

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Let me be the first to say what a fantastic read and a very well done on an arduous walk. So many places I have been to but never connected them up with your wild walking. I did the Great Glen Canoe Trail last month and this brought back great memories of good company, food and wild camps.

Glad you enjoyed it, it was all new ground to me so each day was a mini adventure. I've not looked at the GGCT since they were getting it going a few years back, it's still on my paddling to-do list

Excellent trip and report Rich. It's a stunning art of the country to head through. Shame Andy had to pull out, but sensible when going somewhere remote. Sounds like you'd planned it all really well - I know what a pain re-supply can be up there. And lovely to see Sandwood Bay again. It's been too long for me. Cheers for posting up, I feel kind've guilty with a short reply after you took the time to write an epic :eek:.
Again brilliant stuff,
GB.

Cheers Colin, planning was a lot tougher on this one than the TGO, although once at Ullapool we were spoilt for choice

That was a brilliant read, many thanks for writing it up. :)

Thanks SB

Brilliant report mate! I really enjoyed that! :)

Cheers Cam, glad you enjoyed it mate

Great report mate, well done it looks fantastic :)

Have you done a kit list?

Cheers ozzy, there's a link to my kit list in post #9 if you haven't found it yet

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great write up, love the photos.

That looks like an amazing trip.

We had a great time thanks, did I mention the bogs? :)

Just fantastic ,,,,,,thanks for the wright up

Cheers Cliff

Wow, stunning

Thanks for taking the time to document it all and sharing it with us all.

Glad you enjoyed it Martin

Fantastic Rich, well done the pair of you. :35:
We were wondering how you'd got on.

Just had a quick scan through - about to settle myself down with the map on the other monitor and have a proper read. :)

It was an epic for us two as you can imagine :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Well done for completing the trip. The bogs sound quite worrying. Is there any substantial risk of disappearing into one of the bogs if hiking alone?

Am I right in thinking you did just two resupplies, Morvich and Kinlochewe?

Was there a rationale in choosing to go in late August / Early September beyond when you could fit it in?

Inspirational trip thank you for sharing.

Julia

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Wonderful! Jealous and at the same time glad I didn't have to walk all that way :)

Lol, cheers Philster :)

Well done for completing the trip. The bogs sound quite worrying. Is there any substantial risk of disappearing into one of the bogs if hiking alone?

Am I right in thinking you did just two resupplies, Morvich and Kinlochewe?

Was there a rationale in choosing to go in late August / Early September beyond when you could fit it in?

Inspirational trip thank you for sharing.

Julia

There were certainly some man/woman eating bogs along the way, the worst being the blanket bogs between Sourlies and the footbridge at Carnoch I think, we had to test each one before vaulting across on the poles. There's always going to be the option of finding an alternative route though, I wouldn't say it's a reason not to do it alone, no more so than any other hiking perils you can happen upon :)

We did three resupplies, well three and a half if you include Tesco's in Ullapool, the third parcels went to Inchnadamph

We went for August/September as the days are still quite long, a reasonable chance of getting some decent weather and the midges would be on their way out. Pete's busy in the winter and spring with his arctic trips plus Andy had a lot on, it made sense to push it back so we had time to plan the route and get everything organised. It would make a nice winter route, I don't have the skills to bag the tops in winter but it would make frozen bogs much easier to cross, summer would be hell with the midges.

Glad you enjoyed it, do you fancy having a go one sometime?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
There were certainly some man/woman eating bogs along the way, the worst being the blanket bogs between Sourlies and the footbridge at Carnoch I think, we had to test each one before vaulting across on the poles. There's always going to be the option of finding an alternative route though, I wouldn't say it's a reason not to do it alone, no more so than any other hiking perils you can happen upon :)

Aye, it's one of my biggest concerns tho, disappearing into a bog in the middle of nowhere, never to be found again... Would definitely err on the side of caution.

We did three resupplies, well three and a half if you include Tesco's in Ullapool, the third parcels went to Inchnadamph

Ah that makes a lot of sense. Did you include printed maps of the next stage in each of the resupplies as well? Were the Hotels/campsites ok with the idea of holding a parcel for you?

We went for August/September as the days are still quite long, a reasonable chance of getting some decent weather and the midges would be on their way out. Pete's busy in the winter and spring with his arctic trips plus Andy had a lot on, it made sense to push it back so we had time to plan the route and get everything organised. It would make a nice winter route, I don't have the skills to bag the tops in winter but it would make frozen bogs much easier to cross, summer would be hell with the midges.

Glad you enjoyed it, do you fancy having a go one sometime?

The guide book is sat on my bed currently. Will be a couple of years till I am ready tho, currently injury has me finding a walk to the shops something I think about before doing. So will take a couple of years to build my strength back up. Currently toying between the timing you chose, and early May. Swings and roundabouts really.

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE