Canvas tarp

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Here's the tarp I am making for a friend. He wants it for open canoe trips so he can shelter and have a small fire under it when it's raining. I have just used canvas and canvas loops, but in a way that he can fit a ridge pole and make it a wedge tent.

3x4-canvas-tarp.jpg

If you want to download a printable copy (PDF), click here.

Any questions, just ask.

Eric

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That looks great just as a drawing. It would be nice to see the finished article when you're done. I hope it will be used with some good old fashioned natural fibre rope and not polyprop or para cord!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I'll post photos when it's done. I'm going to make one for my own use after this, and I'll be using a material called Hempex. It looks and feels like hemp rope, but is in fact polyprop. It's what all the tall ships use for their rigging these days so they comply with Lloyds insurance requirements. The drawing was done using CorelDraw9.

Eric

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Hi Eric,

What type of sewing machine do you have to get all that heavy fabric through the space between the foot and the vertical (cannot remember what it is called, something like window or gate).

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Hi Eric,

What type of sewing machine do you have to get all that heavy fabric through the space between the foot and the vertical (cannot remember what it is called, something like window or gate).

I've sewn up 4 full tents from heavy canvas (10x12 by 8 feet high wedge tents), repaired several more, and sewn up many canvas bags and tarps on a simple portable home sewing machine. My current one is called a Dressmaker - don't know who actually made it. But I use a Singer Heavy Duty Needle (style 2020 size 110/18) and cotton-wrapped polyester thread when I'm sewing canvas. The cotton wrapped thread will swell up in the seams and help seal them when wet, plus you have the strength of that polyester core.

Yes, you do have to get ... creative ... when sewing through multiple layers. I often hand turn the machine when going through thick stuff. But I sew through 3 and 4 layers with no problems. The hardest part seems to be rolling/folding all that volume of canvas to fit through the center opening on it - so that I can sew in the middle of the canvas. The main limitation is the distance between the sewing "foot" and the table/bed, plus the total length of the needle.

It is a bit surprising just how much you can ... push ... the limits on a simple portable home sewing machine.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
My sewing machine is a Pfaff. It is a domestic machine, but with industrial strength. I use needles made for sewing denim and it'll easily go through six layers of canvas.

With this tarp, the bulkiness of the overall project is the hardest to work with. It needs a little planning. For instance, the diamonds and ties in the middle are sewn on before sewing the three lengths together otherwise it'd be impossible to turn round under the arm. Also all the triangles and ties will be sewn to the sides in their appropriate places. Once they are all attached, the three lengths can be joined and the hemming finished.

It's not difficult to do, just needs a bit thinking out first.

Eric

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Hello Eric, we (jane) made a tarp up from some of the left over canvas, following your outline..
We used it at a church event last week in St Andrews, Jak (11yo) spent a couple of nights out in a bivi under it, his first out in the air (almost) nights, and found it fine. There was plenty of space for 6 kids to hold a picnic under it. It weighs a fair bit, but it wasnt meant to be light. Thanks again for the pattern...

tarp1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE