Canvas Swedish (m39?) question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Whilst having a tidy up happened across this bag I bought some time ago...very comfy but I've always been puzzled by the metal hooks on the side...what are they for?...hanging stuff off maybe?...not sure...anyone else know?

Cheers j

159484f795547a50b6aaaf249a64df3e.jpg
6df2f931e91732a9924bc83d3245b2ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiki

Aug 31, 2016
Oxfordshire
I did read that there are some hooks to hook the pack on to a webbing belt. Could those be the hooks for that?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The frame was used ( after you detach the bag) to carry other stuff. Radio, a bunch of accumulators for it ( never called batteries), ammo boxes, and so on.

Edit: those hooks prevent side to side movement of the load.

We would never allow a bottle hanging loosely due to noise.

Last edited:

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
The frame was used ( after you detach the bag) to carry other stuff. Radio, a bunch of accumulators for it ( never called batteries), ammo boxes, and so on.

Edit: those hooks prevent side to side movement of the load.

We would never allow a bottle hanging loosely due to noise.

Hmmm, I've just had a look at it and although it is possible to detach the bag the frame is curved which would make it tricky to attach anything else to it...I have an external frame pack but haven't seen these hooks before...a puzzle indeed! Cheers matey j

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Does your frame have the lower ledge? Most have.
The frame and bad were made in several versions over many decades.
And mixed. If an old frame broke, it was replaced with en avsilable ( modern ) frame. So you had an old bag and new frame. And the other way around too.

Yrs it is curved side to side but should be straight top to bottom, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Where exactly on the frame are those hooks situated?

On the bottom of the bag, almost at hip height and (if the bag is being worn) sticking out to the sides at a 90 degree angle. Here's a picture of the hook, in this picture you can see it sitting behind the axe handle

769d9754171f07fef919e6fa587cefd6.jpg

Here's the bag in action with what looks like a canteen hanging off it

1ac0bf5ab43b9b964519e10cf7cae683.jpg

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Could be an older generation system. The 1970's 1980's pulk systems had a belt you strapoed around your midriff, above the 'avbärar bälte' whatever it is called in English.

Edit: the guy closest to the pulk had the stiff poles attached to the belt, and the guy in front ( if more muscle was needed) had ropes strapped to his belt.

Last edited:

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Could be an older generation system. The 1970's 1980's pulk systems had a belt you strapoed around your midriff, above the 'avbärar bälte' whatever it is called in English.

Edit: the guy closest to the pulk had the stiff poles attached to the belt, and the guy in front ( if more muscle was needed) had ropes strapped to his belt.

Ahhhh, perfect thank you...it makes sense now that you've put it in context.

Cheers j

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You are very welcome, Sir!

Please remember, my hands on experience of the Swedish Army is 30 years old.
Senility, Alzheimer, Alcohol use (abuse?) has left it marks..

The reason the first guy closest to the pulk had those poles is quite simple: going downhill it is no fun being hit by a fully loaded pulk. At best you fall, midfle bad - one of your skis break, at worst your Akilles tendon snaps.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE