canvas supplies

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
following on from my bedroll thread

Can anyone tell me where to buy some canvas for a bedroll, and any advice on thicknes/weight type would be good?!

Thanks all

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
Try here, www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk

here one i made in our factory using coated nylon cordroy and quilting for insulation
Picture117.jpg

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I made them for two freinds singeblister and mentalnurse, They were tested out at the middlewood meet one was on the floor in a tipi and the other in a hammok and thay worked fine,

Nice one!

How wide is it and do you use a sleeping bag in it or on its own?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
here one i made ....... using coated nylon cordroy and quilting for insulation

Andy,
how can you be so cruel as to leave the post like that?
What we need to know are quilting weights, and sizes and all that kinda stuff. And a bit of a review from Singeblister and Mentalnurse would be good too. If you've created a system that is equally at home in a hammock or on the floor, you've built the Holy Grail of camping!

ATB

Ogri the trog

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
Andy,
how can you be so cruel as to leave the post like that?
What we need to know are quilting weights, and sizes and all that kinda stuff. And a bit of a review from Singeblister and Mentalnurse would be good too. If you've created a system that is equally at home in a hammock or on the floor, you've built the Holy Grail of camping!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Will do later i dont have time now im at work and should'nt
be on here lol

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
The cheapest source I have found for some canvas for projects is/are those painter's canvas drop-clothes. You can find them at the paint stores, hardware stores, and the big home improvement stores. Lots of places are switching over to plastic or paper drop-clothes, but most still have the canvas ones available.

But be sure to check out how TIGHT the weaving is - that is the most important part about getting something that is water resistant/waterproof. To stop moisture from coming through, the fibers/threads need to swell up and block those tiny holes between the threads in the weaving. The tighter the fabric is woven to begin with, the less the fibers need to swell up to seal it. Those "waterproofing" chemicals you spray/paint on do coat the fibers, but they also soak into the threads and swell them up. That's how they work - by soaking into the threads and swelling them up tight against the other threads.

A number of friends were more concerned about weight. So they picked up a high thread count cotton/linen bed sheet. The high thread count means tighter weave. They then treated it with some of the standard waterproofing chemicals - like Thompson's Water Seal. It works very well as a tarp or ground clothe, but for less than half the weight of a true canvas tarp. The only drawback is that the bed sheet is thinner, and not as tough as the canvas. It won't take the same level of use/abuse without tearing - especially when tying it up to use as a tarp/shelter. But as a bed roll cover, they do very well. About the only thing better is a sheet of plastic.

Hope this helps.

Just my humble ramblings to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
The cheapest source I have found for some canvas for projects is/are those painter's canvas drop-clothes. You can find them at the paint stores, hardware stores, and the big home improvement stores. Lots of places are switching over to plastic or paper drop-clothes, but most still have the canvas ones available.

But be sure to check out how TIGHT the weaving is - that is the most important part about getting something that is water resistant/waterproof. To stop moisture from coming through, the fibers/threads need to swell up and block those tiny holes between the threads in the weaving. The tighter the fabric is woven to begin with, the less the fibers need to swell up to seal it. Those "waterproofing" chemicals you spray/paint on do coat the fibers, but they also soak into the threads and swell them up. That's how they work - by soaking into the threads and swelling them up tight against the other threads.

A number of friends were more concerned about weight. So they picked up a high thread count cotton/linen bed sheet. The high thread count means tighter weave. They then treated it with some of the standard waterproofing chemicals - like Thompson's Water Seal. It works very well as a tarp or ground clothe, but for less than half the weight of a true canvas tarp. The only drawback is that the bed sheet is thinner, and not as tough as the canvas. It won't take the same level of use/abuse without tearing - especially when tying it up to use as a tarp/shelter. But as a bed roll cover, they do very well. About the only thing better is a sheet of plastic.

Hope this helps.

Just my humble ramblings to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Thanks for the information mate!

Will digest it all before doing anything

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Pignut, there may be the chance that I can get you some canvas foc. However, two probs p&p cost + if the material would be suitable for you.......ex scout camp tents?
I am at the same stage as you looking at making a swag and materials to use designs etc I will let you know if the fabric is any good when I get it and if it would be suitable for our/your use.
dave

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I've used a thick woven cloth from ikea, shrunk it by boiling it, to make the weave tighter. Can maybe work for other weaves too I guess.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I just knew the covering from an old gazebo might come in useful one day. The frame fell to bits years ago and the polycotton covering is just begging to be put to reasonable use. Now all I need is a little stitching time and some other bits and pieces.

Cheers guys

Ogri the trog

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Wow! That would be brilliant!

I would obviously pay postage!

Please keep me posted

Regards

dave

Pignut, there may be the chance that I can get you some canvas foc. However, two probs p&p cost + if the material would be suitable for you.......ex scout camp tents?
I am at the same stage as you looking at making a swag and materials to use designs etc I will let you know if the fabric is any good when I get it and if it would be suitable for our/your use.
dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Dave will let you know when I get it but judging by your group buy post you may be going down the 'off the shelf option'
Let me know how you get on tempted on that too if it comes in around the £100...BUT THEN
again I'm tight and have access to a sewing machine!
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE