Canvas sleepinbag outer?

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Not been here for an age! but thought you chaps may be able to help

I am looking for a Canvas sleeping bag outter so I can sleep near a fire without shrink wrapping myself.

Does anyone know of such a thing (ex MOD or similar)

Also I Will be near Lavenham Army surplus on monday if anyone knows if they stock such a thing.

Cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm going to be having a go at a Duluth bedroll clone in the near future, simple to make if you've got the resources.

Andybysea has made a canvas envelope bedroll I think, maybe give him a shout for some details.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Given the weight of cotton, I think it would be best to find double use. For instance use a ventile poncho as your rain layer during day and a bivvy during night. Would also be more rain resistant than regular canvas.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Yep i made a canvas bedroll out of a old military canvas tent,based the design on the ww2 officers bedroll but made it much larger = more room, fastens the same way as originals,and left a extra piece of material at top to make envelope type space to put my clothes in at night as a pillow, its quite heavy though.

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
I've got a duluth bedroll it's a great bit of kit, Rugged but a bit weighty & pricey if you buy a new one. I was lucky enough to pickup a secondhand one. But like others have said with a bit of work it will be easy to make one up, loads of canvas fabric being sold on ebay.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
See my review of the Laga sleeping bag on the Front Page:)

It was your review that got me going! I could do with a zip version (hope you are well Mr Fenna)

Don't have the time to make stuff at the moment. how long is the Belgian?

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
It was your review that got me going! I could do with a zip version (hope you are well Mr Fenna)

Don't have the time to make stuff at the moment. how long is the Belgian?

im 6ft 2 and i can lay straight out in it with my head in the hood, my feet are touching the bottom though. so if your taller than me then i would say no way is it long enough

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
im 6ft 2 and i can lay straight out in it with my head in the hood, my feet are touching the bottom though. so if your taller than me then i would say no way is it long enough

Thanks for that,

I am only a 6ft-er so i should be OK

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE