Canvas packs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The Norwegian telemark pack might be a good option then, a little smaller than the Savottas but really comfy. It's getting tricky to find grade 1 packs these days but if you hunt around they can still be had.

It seems that most who have the Telemark pack have the nylon version, which, for me, rather defeats the point of the exercise. It looks as though I might try out the Savotta 323 and see how I get on with it. I think - hope! - that I won't regret it!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
It seems that most who have the Telemark pack have the nylon version, which, for me, rather defeats the point of the exercise. It looks as though I might try out the Savotta 323 and see how I get on with it. I think - hope! - that I won't regret it!
I don't think you will. Surplus and outdoors have the canvas telemarks in stock but only grade 2. That's where I scored mind from although I snagged a super grade one linky https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/...rwegian-vintage-rucksack-vintage-1082205.html

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
They have the 'Super' graded packs in nylon but I would prefer the canvas incarnation. I'm sorry to be fussy! At least if I start with a new 323, I know what I'm getting in terms of the quality of the thing. I might have another rummage around before I click the 'add to cart' button...

Many thanks for your help and advice. If only I'd managed to snaffle a canvas Telemark pack in good condition but I fear those days - and packs - are now gone.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
They have the 'Super' graded packs in nylon but I would prefer the canvas incarnation. I'm sorry to be fussy! At least if I start with a new 323, I know what I'm getting in terms of the quality of the thing. I might have another rummage around before I click the 'add to cart' button...

Many thanks for your help and advice. If only I'd managed to snaffle a canvas Telemark pack in good condition but I fear those days - and packs - are now gone.
I know what you mean but I got my super grade telemark only a year or so ago, so they do turn up now and then. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the Savotta.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A bit of an update:

I ordered a Telemark pack from Varusteleka and it arrived today. sadly, it's a nylon one but seems in pretty good nick, despite the signs of wear and use. I have also ordered some replacement straps for it as the leather ones on it are perilously thin. So, I have ended up not with a canvas pack but with another of the sort of thing I already have! That said, I do like the shape and simplicity of the Telemark and I'm sure it'll do me well in the woods and out and about generally in the coming years.

Maybe I'll keep looking for a canvas one, just in case...

Reactions: Laurence Milton

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
A bit of an update:

I ordered a Telemark pack from Varusteleka and it arrived today. sadly, it's a nylon one but seems in pretty good nick, despite the signs of wear and use. I have also ordered some replacement straps for it as the leather ones on it are perilously thin. So, I have ended up not with a canvas pack but with another of the sort of thing I already have! That said, I do like the shape and simplicity of the Telemark and I'm sure it'll do me well in the woods and out and about generally in the coming years.

Maybe I'll keep looking for a canvas one, just in case...
Just lovely....…….

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've just bought a Swiss Army salt and pepper rucksack made in '72. I've thought about it on and off for years and found a recent one in what looks to be good order at the right price. I just need to get my head around the difference in carrying it in comparison with my usual Kifaru offering.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've just bought a Swiss Army salt and pepper rucksack made in '72. I've thought about it on and off for years and found a recent one in what looks to be good order at the right price. I just need to get my head around the difference in carrying it in comparison with my usual Kifaru offering.
I've fancied one for years they're just a bit pricey. I have the newer rubberised canvas one but it's not the same. I think we need to see a picture!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Will do. I plan to give the fabric a gentle clean and clean and proof the leather. I picked it up for a reasonable price in comparison to others for sale on eBay/etsy but you can't really tell the state of it until you see it. I've also ordered a complimentary bread bag so we'll see if the combo works.

Reactions: swotty

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I took out the Telemark one recently, with its new shoulder straps. It is a different way of carrying stuff, having the back bit at the bottom resting on your hips and the shoulder straps relatively loose but very comfortable and pleasantly ventilated on the back. Maybe there is something in the 'old school' way of doing things!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I took out the Telemark one recently, with its new shoulder straps. It is a different way of carrying stuff, having the back bit at the bottom resting on your hips and the shoulder straps relatively loose but very comfortable and pleasantly ventilated on the back. Maybe there is something in the 'old school' way of doing things!

This is one of my concerns how to carry it comfortably. Do you have any photos of you wearing it? Comfortably.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
You need to let the weight sit on your hips and lean into the shoulderstraps. You don't want to try and cinch the straps tight to pull the pack into your body like a modern design or you'll be pulling the weight up off your hips into your shoulders. It's really nice in summer as it creates great airflow and the leather straps breathe.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Is your Swiss 'Salt and Pepper' one like this? I picked up this one in a Parisian flea market many years ago. The leather was dry and hard but soon softened with some neats foot oil; now, it serves as my 'extended gardening/hedge trimming/forestry' pack. I have to admit, it's not as comfortable as my recent Norwegian Telemark pack but it really is built like a tank and will go on and on for years!

Attachments

• Swiss 1.jpg
    Swiss 1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Swiss 2.jpg
    Swiss 2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Sundowner

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Aye that’s the one. It’s not as comfortable as a modern pack but I have plans for it. I’ll post pics of mine tomorrow. I’m having to keep it in a drybag as it still smells musty but a day or two out with it will cure that I guess.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You can put it for 3 weeks in a chest type freezer, but put it in a bin bag before, that it can't glue to the fridge.
After the three weeks died the bacteria.

You wash it in the bath by hand with detergent for dishes and after it you rince it several times with clear water.

Than you dry it totally and give the leather several times leather fat. Than it is as good as new.

I did it a few weeks ago exactly like that with an old German canvas rucksack.

(And I tread all outdoor textile equipment like that if it is smelling.
I got that information from Hilleberg, but my Hilleberg tent I washed with a cheap hair shampoo and didn't treat it with leather fat of course.)

As additional big outer pouch you can use the very handy Schweizer Armee Brotbeutel (Bread bag). It is meant to fix it on the rucksack and to store the kitchen stuff in it. But you can use it like a ladies hand bag too.

It exists in salt and pepper canvas or newer versions in "Lederol", what is a kind of plastic artificial leather.

You attach it on top of the rucksack somehow and fix it somehow with the straps of the lower outer pouch. Because I don't own this rucksack any more but two other models of round about the same age which worked with that breadbag too, I forgot unfortunately how it has to be done exactly here. But it works very well.
If it's done in the right way, the breadbag sits over the other fix outer poch.
That is outstanding handy if you store your kitchen stuff in there.

Perhaps it sits at this rucksack on the main flap and is attached with the straps of the main flap??
Sorry I forgot it, but you will find it out easily by playing around with it.
;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE