Canvas packs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I'm looking at the bread bag and can see how it attaches, just not too sure I need it for now. Here's the pack I have

IMG_6947.JPGIMG_6948.JPGIMG_6949 copy.JPG

I'm a bit of a modern pack kinda guy and do find the leather straps and lack of waist belt uncomfortable. The chest strap I have fitted has helped but I have a plan for it though and I'll see if it works out this evening. You can see in the second photo I've fitted a beige waist strap to try to take on some load bearing.

The pack was scrubbed, leather saddle soaped then 'fed' with a complimentary product so they're nice and flexible. I then proofed the main fabric with Nikwax cotton proof spray. Not that I expect it to be waterproof but it'll be lighter if the main fabric doesn't totally soak.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Very neat and tidy! The leather on that pack looks in great condition and obviously benefited from your care and attention - well done!

I agree with you about being a 'modern pack kinda guy' which is why the Norwegian Telemark pack works well for me: replacing the narrow leather straps with a modern equivalent really does make all the difference. I now have a retro-looking day pack that is actually comfortable to carry! That said, I reckon that these things are just a matter of familiarity. If you get into the habit of using it, you'll get used to it - like anything, pretty much.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
My delivery from Varusteleka came in earlier than expected. I bought a set of their padded shoulder straps and found I had some green 40mm webbing to act as a waist belt.

IMG_6950.JPGIMG_6951.JPG

Reactions: swotty

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I just use that Bundeswehr shoulder padding (BW Schulterpolster) over swiss leather straps. That works very well for me.
(I use the originals, offered at Ebay, but set here the link to a replika, expecting, that the link will stay longer active, that you can see the photo.)

The swiss Breadbag has a very good inner organisation. A compartment for a chopping board, a compartment for the cool old swiss army bottle with cork closure and you can fit a swiss or German army mess kit into it too. Of course another small pot too. Food in the pot and around.

If you want to start cooking, you just take the breadbag away and leave your rucksack in its corner. That is incredible fast and comfortable. Far better than every modern version I know!

If you need additional space, the swiss or German army mess kit can be attached with a leather strap outside on the bread bag.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have to shamefully admit that I might have taken the new strap thing too far (hangs head embarrassed). I added a padded Molle belt pad from the brit military webbing. OMG it makes it so comfortable. I had it out this morning for a 2 mile jaunt with the dogs. I don't plan to carry a lot in the bag nor to take it for a long hike it's just to carry my bushcraft stuff which usually just involves a 2 - 4 mile walk. Tomorrow I'll remove the padded belt bit and see how it carries. I am considering a bread bag.

Reactions: swotty

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE