Canvas pack refurb, leather straps advice please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I am in the process of refurbishing an old canvas rucksack. All the leather needs redoing, I intend to use copper rivits and the original buckles. My question is, what thickness leather should I use? I have some 4mm thick 20mm strap but it seems far too thick. The old stuff was so dry it's hard to tell what thickness it was!

What is generally used? If anyone can also look at what they may have that would help a lot. I am inclined to think for the lid and pouch buckles to use 2 to 2.5mm thick and for the shoulder straps 4mm thick 1 and 3/4 inch wide. Trying to balance weight/usability and strength.

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Skive the length that goes through your buckles. My skive is cheap folded sheet metal and holds a single-edge razor blade. I prefer using a sharp chisel or knife. A block plane does the job, too.

Second idea is to use your thin stuff, but sew on a second layer everywhere but the part that goes through your fasteners. Poke a bit of padding in before you finish the seams.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Used 2,5mm for the buckles and straps in the end. Reserved the 3.5mm stuff for the harness straps. Looking good so far, the pack is done, just the frame mounted harness straps to do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE