canvas pack (my style)

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Well i started this canvas pack off under the winter project thread, but i think needs its own thread.

This is it so far. The photos shows the bag mock up inside out with the pocket pinned in place , the white lines are for were the seams well go. I have started on the leather work for the bag.

img1583d.jpg

img1582i.jpg

img1590j.jpg

img1601v.jpg

img1602zi.jpg

img1606.jpg

Thank you for looking.
Cheers Topknot

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
That's looking ok.

I used to make my own packs and various bags years ago out of surplus bits of material, old canvas, nylon from commercial bags that had fallen apart etc, there used to be a shop locally where you could get webbing and all the buckles and fixing. It's a bit like origami, you fold the bag into shape and then sew it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OOOOOH! that looks like a lot of saddle stitching to do!
Looking good though :)
I used to make my own Nylon packs and it was all machine sewing - I do not know if I would have the perseverance to hand sew all that leather.....
but I bet the result is worth it! :D

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi John, I do not mine doing the saddle stitching on the leather work thats ok.
My sewing machine :( will not go through the side seams so this will have to be done by hand using saddle stitching as well .
I'm going to have a look for a industrial sewing machine in the new year.

Cheers Andy.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just used a domestic machine for mine....it only died last year after about 20 years hard work.
For my leather pouches and other heavy work I now use a 1st generation electric sewing machine I got from a charity shop.
It copes with anything...though it gets through drive belts at a frightening rate!
Even my ultra modern, computerised sewing machine will sew nylon webbing.....

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, With all this snow about i've been on call and my feet and hands have not stopped getting people's supplys back on.
But i've just done a bit today.

img1622r.jpg

Cheers Topknot

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi all, Well this is how far i got last night using tiger thread to saddle stitch the pack together.
To this point it take 4 hours of stitching , and i had to put it down for the night and have a beer

img1626w.jpg

Cheers Topknot.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
My hands hurt looking at all that saddle stitching!

Along with my back and eyes!

Have a not too dissimilar all-leather project in mind but I keep putting it off on the pretext of "design considerations" but in truth it is the work you describe and finding the time to get a good run at it that's the real issue. The process made even more painful if you have long runs and wish to avoid a break in stitch line c/o keeping 20ft of snaking thread under control!

Well done TopKnot.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE