Canvas canoe pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Made myself a canvas canoe pack. It's roughly 70cm high, 50cm wide and 30cm deep at full capacity which is around 100 litres or so. I wanted a portage bag I could if necessary get all my kit in and carry it in one go rather than struggling with an assortment of dry bags and loose bits.
The base has a double layer of canvas and all the brass buckles and straps are riveted though to the inner hand sewn leather reinforcements so should take a bit of weight OK.
Under the lid I have attached some D-rings so I can draw the sides and front expansion flaps in to keep loose bits in securely. I just need to make a tump strap, add a drop of canvas proofer on the seams and put some dubbing on the leather.

Nigel

8d4b9d36.jpg

f3572f14.jpg

a24d77ad.jpg

dc55fbd4.jpg

afb5e5c2.jpg

66f2e957.jpg

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Absolutely lovely job! Just finishing another canvas/leather pack myself and, having seen the quality that people can come up with themselves on this forum, a certain well-known US pack company is highly unlikely to see any of my money!

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nice. I really must get the the tump fixed up on mine. Mine is similar, with a larger lid and sewn grommets for the side-flap closure lines. Did you put a map-pocket inside yours? I find mine handy.

Interesting, I went for an all stiched construction (double linnen canvas + backing leather), not sure which is stronger, just a technique I know better (and can fix in the field if needed), but takes a lot longer to make. I'm going to add some sort of "axe-holder" on the sides, in the form of a strap attachement point in the bottom and the compression strap at the top.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Hi

I might put a map pocket on my front portage bag when I make it but when canoeing I use an 'Ortlieb' style map case anyway. I did consider sewing a well as riveting but will see how it goes and add stitching if necessary later on. I wanted to keep the pack as free from extra outer bits as possible so they don't get caught up when portaging or placing the bag in and out of the canoe.

I used a tump line on a previous bag I made for a Scotland trip an this proved to be essential for load and weight carrying over any distance and uneven ground. Quite amazing how it re distributes the weight and helps with this.

Nigel

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
That is lovely, you should go into business, ordering a similar pack from Duluth costs a fortune. :)

Some plans for constructing a canvas pack may be downloaded from here.

:)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi

I might put a map pocket on my front portage bag when I make it but when canoeing I use an 'Ortlieb' style map case anyway. I did consider sewing a well as riveting but will see how it goes and add stitching if necessary later on. I wanted to keep the pack as free from extra outer bits as possible so they don't get caught up when portaging or placing the bag in and out of the canoe.

I often use a map case similar to the old Swedish army one when canoeing (but in leather), but the pocket comes in usefull for small and flat stuff. And I want at most two packs: I can live with a small day-pack as a "wannigan" in addition to the main pack, but I detest the 15 million bags meme.

In some ways I'm not an ideal portage pack user, since I like to organize my stuff, certain things in certain pockets on the pack, and the portage pack ruins this somewhat. Could be I need to use more and smaller waterpoof stuff sack inside it.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
I often use a map case similar to the old Swedish army one when canoeing (but in leather), but the pocket comes in usefull for small and flat stuff. And I want at most two packs: I can live with a small day-pack as a "wannigan" in addition to the main pack, but I detest the 15 million bags meme.

In some ways I'm not an ideal portage pack user, since I like to organize my stuff, certain things in certain pockets on the pack, and the portage pack ruins this somewhat. Could be I need to use more and smaller waterpoof stuff sack inside it.

Nothing worse than having lots of loose bits to gather up at the end of the day. I also collect firewood and other goodies through the day so end up with a scruffy looking canoe! I could add an inner pocket which as you say will be useful for the smaller items.

Nigel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE