Canvas and leather bag

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I have been wanting to try this for a while.

Basically a smallish shoulder bag, approx 30x23x9cm. made from water proof canvas (although probably not that water proof with all the needle holes) and leather.

All leather dyed in Fiebings Dark Brown.

Started with this

Soon had this.

Main section reinforced and front pocket nipped in a bit to help it fold.

First bit of leather on. The zip will be hidden by the top piece of leather.

Wet moulded top and bottom piece of leather

D rings and straps added to top and bottom.

Lining made and ready to sew in last

Last edited:

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Thanks. I need to try and work out a way to help the triangular gussets between the lid and side to always fold inwards, at the moment they naturally fold outwards.

Maybe iron a crease or add a stitch or 2 just to encourage it inwards.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Thanks. I need to try and work out a way to help the triangular gussets between the lid and side to always fold inwards, at the moment they naturally fold outwards.

Maybe iron a crease or add a stitch or 2 just to encourage it inwards.

You could try strategic pegging of the preferred gusset orientation after dampening fabric and then applying heat but in reality there is nothing more important in leather/fabric 'construction' than correct gusset folding at the layout stage. It was something my Tutour, Peter Wall, at Cordwainers College, attempted to instill at a very early stage in his wonderful but now sadly long ceased handsewen leather courses.

Last edited:

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
You could try strategic pegging of the preferred gusset orientation after dampening fabric and then applying heat but in reality there is nothing more important in leather/fabric 'construction' than correct gusset folding at the layout stage. It was something my Tutour, Peter Wall, at Cordwainers College, attempted to instill at a very early stage in his wonderful but now sadly long ceased handsewen leather courses.

Thanks. This is the first item I have made with folding parts, so I did not really think about it early on. The material will iron and keep shape, but is now quite awkward to get an iron into the area

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Just a quick update.

All major hand stitching finished, just a couple more lines around the handle on top to do.

Then it is just finishing / tidying up to go and a few accessories to make.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Its looking great so far,
Have you been enjoying making it ?

Thanks and yes & no for enjoying it. The arthritis in my fingers is playing up at the moment, so it can be a bit of a chore, but its nearly there so I can give them a rest soon.

Really like the construction there with the integral loops, nice work!

Thanks, it works quite well, just needs a couple of stitches and they are solidly fixed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE