Canoes / kayaks - family recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think we'll probably hire a canoe one day. It's annoying really but we're getting the van done to get out more but it limits what we can do.

The most expensive roof brand allows 40kg total roof load including bars. The one we're getting is in our budget but only 30kg total weight. If you're talking a kayak each plus paddles you're going overweight.

We're going to get a fiamma rack for the bikes so at least we've got outdoor activity choices.

Zookeepa

Jan 12, 2015
Derbyshire
No worries. Glad you got a plan sorted. We were looking at doing the same this year, but my health and DVLA can't agree on whether I can have my driving licence back so still on hold.

Happy travels

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Hi Paul.
You’re in Cumbria aren’t you?
I have a big ( maybe a bit too big! ) Grumman Canadian ally canoe which I’ll soon be putting back into Windermere.
You can borrow it if you like. It’s not for sale at the moment but it’s not had enough use in the last few years.
It’s a lot of fun but needs at least two paddling to make it go anywhere much.
Cheers, Simon

Reactions: Janne

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Check out Thule, they should have a roof rack system that can take more than 40 kg.

What is the max load for the roof of the vehicle?
With the poptop roof conversion it's 30kg or 40kg.
http://drivelodge.co.uk/elevated-roofs

Like the trafic version but SWB and new model. They're still developing it for the swb trafic/vivaro.

I've seen the delica version and it's very small. The van ones are a lot bigger. The LR90 version will be small too. Probably better to buy a rooftop tent instead. Well made roofs at 2k less than sca or reimo brands

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Hi Paul.
You’re in Cumbria aren’t you?
I have a big ( maybe a bit too big! ) Grumman Canadian ally canoe which I’ll soon be putting back into Windermere.
You can borrow it if you like. It’s not for sale at the moment but it’s not had enough use in the last few years.
It’s a lot of fun but needs at least two paddling to make it go anywhere much.
Cheers, Simon
Thanks for the offer. Definitely a rain check on that offer. I live north Lancashire but Cumbria is my spiritual home. I certainly know it better than where I live.

Used to do beginners trips as a 12 yo from NT site fell foot.a good launch spot

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think you're right. Or a folding canoe. Can't remember the details but iirc there's a brand that is a folding but rigid boat.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
That's why I have an inflatable. My van has an extending roof, hence no roof rack. I also have no place to store a canoe, so mine lives permanently in the van. This means I can use it on a whim throughout The UK or as I meander down through France.

Although it is a compromise solution and does nothing very well, it suits my river, lake and inshore jaunts and the grandchildren love it.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Thanks for the offer. Definitely a rain check on that offer. I live north Lancashire but Cumbria is my spiritual home. I certainly know it better than where I live.

Used to do beginners trips as a 12 yo from NT site fell foot.a good launch spot

have launched there’s few times myself. Not the same now it’s been landscaped though!
Drop me a message sometime & come & have a paddle. I’ll be putting it back by the lake after Easter.
Cheers, Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE