Canoeing the Lake of Menteith - Crannogs, Islands and Geese

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
After the sun blinding me, at about 10am, through the front window - blueksy and zero wind on the trees - I dropped the MTB wheel I was trying to fix (replacing the ball bearings in the hub) and scrubbed my hands and grabbed the canoe kit !

Although a snap decision, a good one.:lmao:

A potted history of access issues - none for me on previous trips - but no fishing on a Sunday just now, let me think about checking out the full islands. As I passed -100m to the side of them - one boat with three fisherman, I heard them chatting about canoeists. SNH shut the Inchmaholme Priory ferry during the winter, so no one to ask me to (illegally) pay the £5 ferry fee to land on the island.

Launch beach - a few metres from the road.

Starting out Beach by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

The Lake, very peaceful. No Mary Queen of Scots or Robert the Bruce today ! The only noise at this point was hundreds of Geese. Noisy but floating around.

Lake of Menteith View by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Just floating soaking up the views and sun by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

The Crannog Island just left of centre on the horizon.

View of the Lake of Menteith by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Lunch stop on the Crannog Island.

Lunch stop on the Crannog by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Inchmaholme Stop by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Crusader cuppa tea.

Crusader Burner by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Crusader Cup stove for a cuppa by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Crannog Castle fireplace.

Crannog Castle Fireplace by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Next stop, Inchmaholme Island and it's Priory ruins. Once, a home for Mary Queen of Scots.

Inchmaholme Priory by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

As I headed back, the air was cooling - I could see my breathe's vapour - but the sun was setting beautifully. A fitting end to a peaceful day.

Launch spot by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Fantastic day out and great pics buddy,I went to paddle there a few years ago with my good lady and as you know there is a fishing club there ,They said it was a private lake and i could not canoe it,Which i know now is bull ,Thats what happens when you do the right thing i suppose lol .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE