Canoe Trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 8, 2007
Farnborough
I was out by the Basingstoke canal at Mytchett last night and spotted somone in an open canoe with a camelpak who looked like they might have been out for more than just a leisure trip. Naturally this made me envious and I have hatched a plan to do some inland waterway canoe expeditions. Can anyone recommend good waterways for this, bearing in mind the need to stop overnight surreptitiously?

Thanks

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Come and join me on the Duagleddau estuary in West Wales some w/e - ideal for 2-3 days!
Instruction also available (level 4 coach) at a discount to site members!
Other than that I recommend the Spey up in Scotland and Loch Morar/Loch Nevis - a classic!
John

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John Fenna said:
Come and join me on the Duagleddau estuary in West Wales some w/e - ideal for 2-3 days!
Other than that I recommend the Spey up in Scotland and Loch Morar/Loch Nevis - a classic!
John

One of the lads who works where I work is going upto Bonnie Scotland next month with 5 other guys to raise money for charity.
They will be canoeing from Fort William to Inverness via Loch Lochy, Loch Olch and Lock Ness!
All in 3 days.
Sounds good doesn't it!

geo_chris

Jan 31, 2007
Castleford, W Yorkshire
Every time that I go to get one of my canoes out I have my eight year daughter hankering to come out with me so we end taking the open canoe out on safe waterways during day light. On the odd occassion I have made it out in one of the single kayaks to venture out on a river in flood or have sneaked off whilst visiting relatives to play in the surf or ride the boar from Morecambe Bay up the River Kent. A nice river my daughter and I go on a lot is the river Ouse going through York, but this is possibly a little sedate for what you are looking for. Oh how I wish I could venture further and spend a few days by myself travelling the waterways...

Will have to wait till the kids grow up!
icon7.gif

I have heard that the Caledodian Way (probably mis-spelt) for the East Coast to the West Coast across Scotland through the sea lochs is a challenge -- this has been something that I have fancied doing for sometime, but not with my eight year daughter!

Keep us informed on any good trips you find.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Hi

I can recommend the Spey - though right now Aviemore to Spey Bay would take about 20 minutes at warp 3!

Does get a lot of use and heard allegations it was a bit of a cliche ( not enough coffee yet - cant come up with a better word ). But I enjoy it everytime - so there! :p

The Scottish Canoe Union produced a book on Scottish canoe trips/ routes - lots in there, but appreciate not everyone lives 'up North'.

On that note, anyone doing the Spey and needing a hand, I am about 6 miles away from the Blackboats Bridge/ Old Station.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Well, if you'd care to fly to Duluth, end of April, beginning of May, I'm planning on putting in on Baker Lake, portage to Peterson Lake, portage to Kelly Lake, portage to Jack Lake, down the Temperance River, portage to Lower Temperance Lake, portage to Upper Temperance Lake, portage to Sitka Lake, portage to Cherokee Lake, portage to Gordon Lake, and into Frost Lake and the Frost River.

Beautiful country, blue water, pines, cedars, cliffs, bluffs, moose, bear, great fishing and nary a road or building to be seen. Bring a tarp, sleeping bag, and warm clothes. I can supply the rest.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
pierre girard said:
Well, if you'd care to fly to Duluth, end of April, beginning of May, I'm planning on putting in on Baker Lake, portage to Peterson Lake, portage to Kelly Lake, portage to Jack Lake, down the Temperance River, portage to Lower Temperance Lake, portage to Upper Temperance Lake, portage to Sitka Lake, portage to Cherokee Lake, portage to Gordon Lake, and into Frost Lake and the Frost River.

Beautiful country, blue water, pines, cedars, cliffs, bluffs, moose, bear, great fishing and nary a road or building to be seen. Bring a tarp, sleeping bag, and warm clothes. I can supply the rest.

I'm so jealous, have an epic journey :approve:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
pierre girard said:

Wow, what an offer! You guys over the pond are so lucky!:)

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
hi organised a little trip last year (on bcuk.).down the river wye from glasbury on...after 3 hours or so when you hit hay on wye, its all surruptitious lol in fact its actually harder to find a place with ppl than it is to find a place with pink elephants
you can go 6 days easy before you hit the sea or even better start from builth wells (then you get the first few days near a pub) all of it is fine for an open canoe and infact im taking the wife down this stretch in a few weeks
pm. me for any more info and gimme a bell if your going alone or need company

(just lost both jobs free as a bird all summer lol WO0T )

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Pierre

Just checked flights Birmingham BHX fly direct to Duluth £445. Unfortunatley Im booked solid now this year.

However if the offers still open next year Im interested, can I hire a canoe when I get there.

Pothunter.

Hi,

I just want to re-inforce a couple of ideas from above, really.

First, I can't recommend highly enought the SCA book "Scottish Canoe Touring" -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scottish-Ca...1002037?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173943354&sr=8-1
Nothing above grade 2, and plenty of flatwater. Many evenings drooling over places to visit more often as the children grow. A long way for you, though... Of course the Scottish outdoor access laws mean you can bivvy where you like, within some guidelines.

The Wye is also excellent, and much more accessible for you.

The Severn might be worth considering too - it is pretty much flatwater (wheras the Wye does have lots of very easy rapids) which you might consider a good thing or a bad thing. The Wye can be a scrape in low water, whereas you shouldn't run into such issues on the Severn.

If you fancy heading south, consider a few days on the Dordogne in south central France. All very set up for canoeing, and you can do a 100km section that is grade 1, provided you are willing to make 1 (or maybe 2) short portages. Probably some places you could bivvi, and well spaced campsites.

If you really want canals - I only have any idea about the Leeds-Liverpool. The section running towards Leeds from Foulridge is very nice in terms of being rural and wild, but you might struggle for places to bivvi.

Want more ideas? Try visiting www.songofthepaddle.co.uk (which Magikelly on these forums does a great job of running.)

My two penn'orth :D

Ben

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
pierre girard said:

And thats before lunch !!! :cool: :cool:

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
pothunter said:
Hi Pierre

Just checked flights Birmingham BHX fly direct to Duluth £445. Unfortunatley Im booked solid now this year.

However if the offers still open next year Im interested, can I hire a canoe when I get there.

Pothunter.

Remember, you will only need one way, cos you wont want to come back after scenery like that. :)

Forest

Jun 14, 2006
Bristol
You'll struggle to beat the River Wye in good weather...
You can easily do 3 or 4 days and the best stretch is the last day, through the Yat down to Monmouth.
Pub lawns and small campsites for overnight stops. Buzzards, Peregrines, Kingfishers and Salmon along the way, with shingle beaches and islands for lunch stops. What more do you want ?
Try Monmouth Canoe Hire for boats

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
John Fenna said:
John

What are the prices and does it include the equipment and the canoe. I wonder if anyone from here fancys doing another BCUK open canoe outing for a weekend how many people can you take at once.

Could be fun guys anyone interested?

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I agree, hard to beat the wye. 60 odd miles, plenty of campsites - not real wilderness but great fun. The rapids at symonds yat will put a smile on your face but are easily portaged if you prefer.
Try www.canoehire.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE