Canoe Spraydeck.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
It's something I've fancied trying on the Pack for a while. She tends to dive when dropping into river pools and in chop can sometimes ride down the back of a wave and cut into the next one. She's only a little thing so rides low.

Anyhow, I had an old shell(with decks) from a Sevylor inflatable that I'd sold the inner from to someone who didn't need the outer. Dragged it out and started on it with a pair of scissors....

Quality control.

Deck_01.jpg

The outer already had a pocket of sorts into which I popped panels of corrugated plastic. It's firm enough to hold the deck in shape(for rain and the odd splash) but really this is an afterthought. Most of the time I'll be using them along with barrels so will leave the panels at home.

Deck_02.jpg

A liberal sprinkling of the latest wondermaterial. Rubber tape with a kind of bitumenous backing that you heat up to apply and seems to stick to anything.

Deck_03.jpg

So - without and with the barrels in place. :)

Deck_04.jpg
Deck_05.jpg

The four little extra-looking flaps are there because I haven't decided what to do with them yet. Still have a lot of material and a centre panel with skirt might be on the cards. Those wee bits look like they might come in handy. More likely not and I'll whip them off but for the moment they're not doing any harm.
I'll no doubt rustle up some lower profile rope, the orange stuff was just plentiful and handy.

For calm use the decks should hold the barrels in place quite nicely. They can still be lashed down independently under the deck though for when they're maybe going to be on bouyancy duty.
Only takes a loosen off to get them in and out.

Deck_06.jpg
Deck_07.jpg

Bit of a fluke for it all to work out so neat. Didn't need to sew a stitch - just cut it down to shape and punched some eyelet holes.

:)
Josh

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nicely done mate, I've looked at those same pieces myself and wondered if they'd work. I've hacked one of them up now so it's too late anyway

Hi Ciara :sadwavey::puppy_dog

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very tidy Josh :D it all seems to work out just spot on :)

If you fancy doing something else and need waterproof fabric, mind I have a stash and I'm trying to clear my workroom.

atb,
M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very tidy Josh :D it all seems to work out just spot on :)

If you fancy doing something else and need waterproof fabric, mind I have a stash and I'm trying to clear my workroom.

atb,
M

Any chance I could relieve you of a piece of that fabric Mary? Something around 6ft x 3ft would be grand. Only if it helps you have a clear out :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It'd be for a sit/lounging mat on canoe trips so not too bothered about the weight, maybe toughest stuff would be best

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Those look great Josh,new barrels as well.

Same barrels wrapped in camo Duck tape. Got sick of eyesore blue.
One of them's been wrapped for a while, it's holding up pretty well.
Also slapped a layer of the rubber wondertape on the bases. They were a bit slippy on slabs and the likes.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Already there. :)
Feels like a cylinder of minicell foam.

Mind Rich's canoe the first time you came out on Lomond?
Same boat - I had one too for a couple of years before getting the Pack.

Deck_08.jpg

Cheers for the offer Mary. May take you up on about the same as Rich.
...for a deck for Ya Beauty. This stuff's a bit bulky, If you had some of yon coated-underside material from the Barras shop left that'd be handy. I don't have a large enough piece left.

By the way, there's a fair bit of wondertape left if anyone has a use for some.

Maflowrap.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got eight different bits of green waterproof fabric.
They all come 60" wide, so.....either you get 3' x 5' or I split a 2m length down the middle and you get 2m x nearly 70cms wide.

I have some really, really heavy duty if that's what would be best ? I can bring it to Josh's ? or if you're going to StuartF's skill share, I can get it there ?

cheers,
M

Jan 26, 2009
fermanagh N. Ireland
Great work and very professional finish. When ~I started in Canadians 37 years ago I wouldn't have considered going out without a spraydeck, thats a complete cover. They are wonderful, they keep the rain and splashes out and keep the heat in and you finish with everything nice and dry. I cannot think why they went out of fashion.
Good luck with your new cover.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got eight different bits of green waterproof fabric.
They all come 60" wide, so.....either you get 3' x 5' or I split a 2m length down the middle and you get 2m x nearly 70cms wide.

I have some really, really heavy duty if that's what would be best ? I can bring it to Josh's ? or if you're going to StuartF's skill share, I can get it there ?

cheers,
M

I could use the 3' x 5' no bother Mary

Heavier the better for me :)

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
I know what you mean about the pack, I too have one and love it to bits! God damn that's a brilliant idea!
Got me a thinking now mate!
I also have a guide 147, but too heavy to carry at 33kg!
Old town pack is the best!
Got to do it to mine now before i start taking it out this year!
Bloody well done! Really!
Picky of mine!canoe.jpg

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
It is a wee boat that you get affectionate about. :)
I've dug out some better pics of this one from over the years......

pack1.jpg

DSCF0272.jpg

cl18.jpg

LAG_JUL_09.jpg

CS_06.jpg

auch20.jpg

DSC_2589.jpg

LL_FEB_04.jpg

Picture2164.jpg

RO_FEB_05.jpg

Swim.jpg

Orchy.jpg

LL_JUN_10.jpg

Crannog.jpg

CIMG0023.jpg

Good times.
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE