Canoe/kayak Laws

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi folks,

I'm planning a little trip with some friends on some soon to be acquired canoes! (if I can ever find one on ebay!) and I was just wondering what the laws surrounding the matter are? I've spoken to a few people with mixed results, some people are telling me that I can go on canals and not have to pay anything and have no risk of being shouted at because there is no motor on board, however some people are telling me I need to have some license to do it! so which is it?

another thing, if it is the latter of the two, how much of a penalty would I receive if I conveniently "forgot" I had to buy a license this year?

oh and any tips about canoeing or kayaking or gear etc would be very much appreciative :)

Cheers!

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
Membership of the BCU (£37) provides you with a British Waterways license. I've never been asked to show my BCU membership card when I've been on a canal, but then again, I've not used locks where I could conceivably meet a lock keeper who might ask me to show it. For that matter, I was never asked to show my BCU membership or Thames license when I've paddled on the Thames and gone though locks, and I used to paddle there lots when I lived in the area.

The BCU says that it uses membership fees to promote canoeing, access benefits and if that's the case you could say that you're cheating yourself by not getting membership. I'll keep my thoughts on the BCU to myself.....

Wayland

Hárbarðr
First of all, No one will advise you to break the law on this site. It is unethical, immoral and against the site rules.

Secondly, I believe that membership of the BCU (British Canoe Union) includes such a licence and would also point you in the direction of some proper training if you haven't had any yet.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Join the BCU ... it saves hassle even if you do not like what they are doing... the fines are HUGE!
As to canoeing tips - get some formal training at your local club or local tame instructor.
If those routes fail you I run tailor made canoe courses based on a little wood near me - bushcraft and canoeing ... the ideal combo!
I am a BCU level four coach and an insured bushcraft instructor and give a whopping 20% discount on my courses to folk on this site :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
UKRiversguidebook is my goto for all info paddling, it a mine of info;especially for 'yaking.

I don't have BCU membership because I paddle my yak on a very quiet section of the Nene which doesn't need one. If I was padling on canals or other rivers I'd get one in a flash. I'm probably going to pick one up this year anyway because it gives me good discount on the local club fee and I'm likely to paddle on other waterways later this summer.

Theres some real idiots on the water, the insurance and legal services that the BCU membership gives will hopefully be never needed, but may be invaluable if you get mown down by some petrol powereed ned drinking stella.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
wow! would love to have one of those courses john, but your a little bit out of my travelling distance! haha. Ok so get a BCU membership... thank you guys for the help.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The licence is for any craft using the waterways maintained by the British Waterways Authority :)
Not like a motorcycle or car licence :)

Fair enough. Still seems a bit excessive for a paddle craft though. I'm aware of NO licenses here other than for those between age 12 and 18 to operate powered boats. And the commercial licenses of course.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Fair enough. Still seems a bit excessive for a paddle craft though. I'm aware of NO licenses here other than for those between age 12 and 18 to operate powered boats. And the commercial licenses of course.

if the British government can make you pay for anything..they will! like now having to take a seperate theory test for bikes and cars! ridiculous, it's almost exactly the same bar a few tiny things...just a way for the DVLA to get more money out of you

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
if the British government can make you pay for anything..they will! like now having to take a seperate theory test for bikes and cars! ridiculous, it's almost exactly the same bar a few tiny things...just a way for the DVLA to get more money out of you

I understand the need for tax funding of the maintenence of the waterways. It's just a different approach than I'm used to. It's funded here mostly by tax on the fuel for the powered craft and sometimes loch fees.

that said, most waterways here that a canoeist would frequent aren't "maintained" anyway. Or at least they are minimally maintained (lakes need Mx to the dams, spillways, etc)

Of course it's more expensive to maintain a canoe livery but then that's a private business and the owner would fund that (as well as make a profit) through the rental fees.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
There's a fee to run the Colorado in a paddle powerd craft dingy, noe or yak :)

I understand the need for tax funding of the maintenence of the waterways. It's just a different approach than I'm used to. It's funded here mostly by tax on the fuel for the powered craft and sometimes loch fees.

that said, most waterways here that a canoeist would frequent aren't "maintained" anyway. Or at least they are minimally maintained (lakes need Mx to the dams, spillways, etc)

Of course it's more expensive to maintain a canoe livery but then that's a private business and the owner would fund that (as well as make a profit) through the rental fees.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE