Canoe hire/instruction northern england

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Okay I've had a look around the web as well as on here and more or less come up with a blank for what I'm after.
So, does anyone know where I can go, just for the day, accompanied by my 15 year old son to have a go at open canoeing?
I'm looking at a day trip only at the moment so the lakes, kielder would be as far as I would consider going for now
I'm not interested in joining a club, I just want to see whether my back can stand up to the job.
I don't want to pick up a boat from somewhere either, I'm looking at a school set up really, but can't find one up to now.

Any help would be much appreciated

R.B.

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
Hi RB

The good folks over on SOTP are having a large meet on Coniston water on the 26th and 27th. It may be worth posting over there to see if anyone is taking a spare boat they'd be willing to loan you (they are friendly like that).

Even if theres no spare boat I'm sure someone over there would be able to point you at a hire company up in your area.

Good Luck

Stewart

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Waterside House Campsite, Pooley Bridge .... Not cheap tho

BOAT AND ACTIVITY HIRE
Activity Per Hour Half Day (4hrs) Full Day
Rowing Boats
2 Adults £9.00 £25.00 £40.00
3 Adults £12.00 £25.00 £40.00
4 or 5 Adults £15.00 £25.00 £40.00

Canadian Canoes £9.00 £25.00 £40.00

Double Sea Cycle £9.00 £25.00 £40.00
Single Sea Cycle £5.00 £12.50 £25.00

We have camped there in the past several times. The site does get VERY busy at peak times and there are not enough showers IMHO. Also if you book you do NOT get a reserved pitch, just pot luck with what is left.

Having said that my kids love it!

http://www.watersidefarm-campsite.co.uk/index.htm

HTH

Simon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There was a family called Platt who bought a boat from the Galgael who ran courses on canoes, dinghies, dragon boats and the like at Derwentwater.
They got a very good rep iirc.

I'll see if I can find the link again.

cheers,
Toddy

Sep 24, 2007
Forest of Dean
Have you thought of asking John Fenna? Certainly in years gone by he has done a good deal of open canoe instruction, although in Wales rather than the NW. Give him a try.

Cheers,

P.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Okay I've had a look around the web as well as on here and more or less come up with a blank for what I'm after.
So, does anyone know where I can go, just for the day, accompanied by my 15 year old son to have a go at open canoeing?
I'm looking at a day trip only at the moment so the lakes, kielder would be as far as I would consider going for now
I'm not interested in joining a club, I just want to see whether my back can stand up to the job.
I don't want to pick up a boat from somewhere either, I'm looking at a school set up really, but can't find one up to now.

Any help would be much appreciated

R.B.
kielder hawkhirst scout camp,

Hawkhirst Scout Activity Centre
Kielder
Northumberland
NE48 1QZ
01434 250217
hawkhirst.activity.centre@scout.org.uk

Hawkhirst Adventure Camp

Kielder Water, Nr. Hexham, Northumberland, NE48 1QZ
Tel: 01434 250217 Fax: 01434 250350
E-mail: hawkhirst@aol.com

On either side of Hawkhirst Peninsula are sheltered creeks which are ideal for basic canoeing and rowing whilst Kielder Water, itself some six miles in length, offers ample scope for the more experienced user. Hawkhirst Adventure Camp owns a considerable fleet of sailing dinghies, canoes and other craft. These are all available for use by the day or half-day period.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Try phoning the canoe shop in Barnard Castle (at the bottom of the bank) The people there should have a contact or 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE