Canoe for bushcraft journeys

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shiver

Apr 23, 2012
Belfast
Anyone ever used or owned a Tribord canoe from Decathlon, I was looking for a knock about canoe when someone offered me one at a reasonable price. I know it's a heavy canoe and fairly tough but I'm not sure on build quality. Originally I was going for a mad river TT16 anyone help with first hand experience on either?

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
Hi Shiver

Not used either of the two boats you mention but do quite a bit of paddling, including open canoe camping. I think the main question would be what sort of water you would be paddling.

If it was calm flat water or easy grade river, either would probably OK. If you want to do any river trips on moving water (grade 2 and above), I'd definitely go for the MR.

Hope that helps

Andy

Any canoe would probably do you for paddling around on lakes and easy touring rivers. Most could handle class ii/II rapids too. Most can tote a bit of kit around too.

But if you want a canoe that can handle two adults, plus a couple of hundred pounds of kit or more, and cope with long, long class ii or iii rapids loaded and is extremely manoeuvrable to boot. Then we'd go for a prospector model canoe most times.

Plastic ones weight in at around 80lb but if you've one with a decent yoke, portaging one is fine and dandy. They are a workhorse and should last a life time or longer!

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
If you go to song of the paddle, there is a review section of all the main makes and models. Are you going to be solo or tandem, how much kit you going to be carrying. If your not going to be hammering it, there are some nice fibreglass ones out there at reasonable price. I have an Apache 16 that I've done Caledonian Canal in and it shifts. They are easy to keep tidy as you can just repair any gel coat damage. They're quite light as well.

As Joe says, a prospector is a good all round boat from different makers.

Cheers
Andy

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you're thinking about buying a polythene canoe ( that's "polylink", "triple tough" etc etc) then the only one really worth buying, assuming you don't want a lifeless plastic tub, is the SP3 15ft 6" from Nova Craft.

This was mine:

It's stable when you want it to be and lively and responsive enough to be paddled in white water, poled, sailed, heeled over, basically a superb all round open canoe.
[video=youtube;jTx9Yjh4fTg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTx9Yjh4fTg&list=UURdd L3mkjOvJ3tAtVHpW-XQ[/video]

I had to get rid of mine, because it was simply too heavy to manage off the water on my own. It was a great loss and the light weight boat I replaced it with,( Nova Craft Prospector 15, in RX Lite) that cost double the money, was a very poor substitute.

Luckily, my mate bought an SP3!:D

He's a big lad, hence the boat sitting a bit low in the water:)

But every chance I get, I'm paddling his SP3 when we're out together;)

In fairness, there are two other polythene boats worth buying; one of which you've already mentioned (I assume/hope you are talking about this boat and not the "adventure")-the Explorer from Mad River, which comes in 14, 15 and 16ft models in "TT" (polythene) and is also a very good all rounder like the SP3 but simply doesn't have the looks or the quality of the Nova Craft offering and the Venture prospector 15 or 16 which paddles pretty much as well as the SP3 too but in spite of better looks than the Explorer, falls behind in quality and consequently, resale value.

I now paddle a Mad River Reflection 15, in royalex. A boat designed for flat water,( and another at twice the price+ of an SP3) gentler rivers and lakes and lochs. It's superb for what its aimed at, sails well and is fast to paddle but not a patch on the SP3 as an all rounder.:rolleyes:

If Nova Craft had an SP3 hull in royalex lite, I'd consider selling one or two spare body parts to fund the boat:cool:

good luck and whatever happens, don't buy that Tribord thing or anything like it.

Steve

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Second what RB says.

I had an NC SP3 prospector in green, great boat, but really heavy on your own!

Now got the standard NC royalex prospector, in red, which is much more manageable solo.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
How much experience do you have?

I wouldn't suggest going anywhere near fast flowing water until you have a fair bit of experience, are good at ferrying, draw strokes and suchlike.

I have a huge Peace River Cruiser (over 17ft long) and it is a decent all round boat, bit big for soloing. Weight matters, as you may need to carry your boat around obstacles such as weirs.

rancid badger

How much experience do you have?

I wouldn't suggest going anywhere near fast flowing water until you have a fair bit of experience, are good at ferrying, draw strokes and suchlike.

I have a huge Peace River Cruiser (over 17ft long) and it is a decent all round boat, bit big for soloing. Weight matters, as you may need to carry your boat around obstacles such as weirs.

I'd have to agree with the advice above and I'd add that unless you intend to seek professional coaching/instruction, your best and safest bet would be to forget canoeing/paddling full stop. I thought I could learn from books and videos when I started paddling back in 2008.

I couldn't! I thought it was my choice of boat at first (Old Town Discovery 158) the boat was sxxt, dreadful in fact but it was my lack of skills, knowledge and therefore confidence, that was really holding me back. You can't usually learn from paddling with so called "experienced paddlers" either, as they are rarely qualified or have the ability to pass on their skills to others. You need to be trained to instruct safely and efficiently.

Thankfully, I got myself on a weekend "beginners and improvers" course with a level 5 coach and I've never looked back since. I need to do the moving water course and then a white water course before I'll consider paddling faster rivers with rapids etc.

You'll need to factor in an investment of around £160-£180 for a weekends coaching, one to one, although it's cheaper if you can get a few more to take part.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've never taken a formal course but have had extensive teaching from a couple of canoe clubs when I was younger. Many of the techniques are not obvious but make a huge difference. I'm not convinced you need a formal course but certainly instruction from someone who actually knows what they are doing makes a big difference.
Solo paddling is risky and I don't recommend it unless you are skilled and experienced. Whether solo or in a group, wear a buoyancy vest.
Despite all of that, I came very very close to drowning when I was 18. Strong, super-fit, skilled but I still came unstuck and ended up jammed under a fallen tree.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
There's a guy on SOTP who goes by Barelyafloat, and he sells used canoes every now and again. Once your over the water he's not too far away from you in Annan, Dumfries and Galloway. It might be worth giving him a pm to see if he's got anything kicking about. Tell him I sent you......

Cheers, Michael.

rancid badger

As above, Barelyafloat has a very good all rounder on offer:
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?47497-MR-Explorer-15-Red

Claims it's in very good nick and I'm sure it is but you need to see decent photo's of the boat, upper and lower hull, inside and out, in good light and dry, to establish if its worth a trip over to look at.

PS: I've no connection with the seller by the way but if you're looking for a decent all rounder, I'd put this model 2nd on my list. It's also royalex so will be slightly lighter than the TT (polythene) model.

Last edited:

Shiver

Apr 23, 2012
Belfast
Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated and I'm overwhelmed with all the replies to my post, in the end I went for the Mad river Triple tough, TT14 couldn't justify the more expensive model, perhaps later down the line I might splash out.
I'm in a local club, so not taking any white water solo, doing that with club until i have more experience, for now, mainly lake and river mouth, trips to the odd island, for a nice quiet overnight, but I'm well pleased.
It's mainly for solo and some light gear, perhaps the occasional passenger, So just fitting it out with buoyancy and painters, etc. hopefully get it out early January for an overnight trip.
See you on the water !

rancid badger

Not a bad initial choice at all. A bit short and therefore not as fast to paddle or easy to keep going in a straight line as a longer boat but a good boat nonetheless and excellent in moving water or confined waterways etc.

Just as a taster for further down the line and maybe an idea for a future "upgrade", heres a link to yet another boat on SoTP:
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?47587-Mad-River-Explorer-16-foot-Royalex

The above would be a similar weight to your TT 14 ( according to Mad River) but be more suited to both longer trips, being a bit faster to paddle and offer more flexibility in use, offering extra space for kit and passengers alike.

happy paddling and a happy new year!

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE