Canoe cups

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hi all

Comments from various forums re canoe cups/noggins

-----------------------------------------------------------
There is a facinating read at the link below, including a photo of a 200 year old canoe cup that looks very like a shallow kuksa
http://webapps8.dnr.state.mn.us/mcv_pdf/articles/9_200-Year-Old_Canoe_Cup_Recovered.pdf
--------------------------------------------------

A couple of comments on canoe cups: A canoe cup was not so much for drinking as for food. A voyageur could easily get water, especially enroute, from the underside of his paddle. Take your paddle out of the water, and hold it at a 45 degree angle, blade vertical. Put your mouth against the underside of the blade and it will fill with water (at first, you may try to place the wrong side of your mouth against the paddle).

Voyageurs were either Mangers du Lard (pork eaters) or Hivernants (winterers). The Hivernants plied the "upper country" north and west of the Grand Portage. They used the Canot du Nord (about 24 foot canoes) and seldom returned to civilization. The Mangers du Lard paddled the Maitre canoes (about 36 foot) between Montreal and the Grand Portage (present day NE Minnesota).
Many of the original canoe cups were copies of the Ojibwe naagan – cross between a spoon and a bowl.

-----------------------------------------------------
Here is a youtube video about the "coupe du voyageur" or Voyageur cup.......with a bit of a history lesson to go along with stages of carving. Also did you search "noggin" when you looked for info?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPKn6Jue2H4

-------------------------------------------------------

They were basically carved by the paddlers along the way and came in all manner of sizes and styles, personalised by them selves some had carvings and patterns on etc, they were used to scoop water on the run and receive their Rum Ration in the evenings as far as I know
-----------------------------------------------

16ga

May 13, 2011
Canada
Absolutely gorgeous! I am so very impressed. I think that as a Canadian that works on the Hudson and James bay, you should send one to me!! haha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE