canoe carving (Pictures a plenty)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
My second attempt at carving a miniature "canoe bowl", about 16 inches long carved from willow.
1/ Half log with pithy area hewen off
sales561.jpg

2/ Starting to define the area to be hollowed
sales562.jpg

sales564.jpg

3/ Defining the sides
sales565.jpg

sales566.jpg

4/ Starting to define the bows and stern
sales567.jpg

sales569.jpg

5/ Starting to hollow
sales571.jpg

sales574.jpg

sales576.jpg

6/ Refining inside with slick gouge
sales578.jpg

sales580.jpg

7/ More trimming and rough shaping, now at the ready to dry stage. Walls are roughly 3/8ths of an inch thick
sales583.jpg

I spent a little less than an hour to do this, which included stopping to switch the camera on to take the pics...

This was one I "ruined" a few days ago, about 3 foot long, carved from a full log not split like the other one.
sales556-1.jpg

sales555-1.jpg

All was going well until I inadvertantly drilled through the wall with that super sharp super efficient slick.....:lmao:
sales559-1.jpg

Its a totally new form (to me)and I havent really a clue what I was doing, but the north west coastal forms are so diverse and rich.....
Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Ooooh! Nice work. BTW is that a Henry Taylor adze, and what is it like to use? The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of getting one.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Good stuff. And does that adze have a straight edge. I was given one that does and have yet to use it as i'm not sure of the practicality of it for hollowing. Any advice mr dazzler?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
It is a henry taylor adze, with a curved edge. Its ok at a push. You probably could use a straight adze to hollow items out, but it would be much harder than using a curved one as the 2 corners will drag and dig in. On my one it improved dramatically by putting a very small micro bevel (actually more like a very slight convex shape) to the outside of the blade (factory grind was in-cannel) Its the only curved adze I have ever used, have owned it appox 25 years, maybe there are better ones out there......:)

Tubbyfraser

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2008
Nowhere
That's no Kent pattern axe but a Scotch one. The bit seems a little Kentish but the eye surround is Scotch IIRC. Very nice and good luck with the bowl - not got there yet but hope to soon. It's ruddy upsetting when something you've been working on goes and splits but with a little learning and experience it gets easier. My first few kuksat went the way of the pear but now I understand how to use the wood a little better.

Thanks for showing,
Graeme

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Good stuff. And does that adze have a straight edge. I was given one that does and have yet to use it as i'm not sure of the practicality of it for hollowing. Any advice mr dazzler?

You could possibly use a straight adze to chop a groove in the same way a mortice chisle functions; it works for the north west coast carvers. They drive theiir adzes sometimes with a maul. I dont know if you are familiar with regular carpentry, but to chop a mortice you take vertical sliced chips within a pre measured and marked pair of parallel lines. With a mortice chisle and mallet you can chop a mortice pretty quick, its been around for hundreds and hundreds of years, time tested and efficient.....

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
LOL Its solid as an anvil. I have had a few blocks over the years and this is the boss one. Doesnt budge even if you walk into it. The legs are 75mm thick, the top is a beech log.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE