Candied walnuts

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Ingredients: sugar, water, salt*, cinnamon*

* optional

You want about the same amount of sugar as walnuts and enough water to dissolve it. If you use too much water, it will just take longer whilst it evaporates.

Heat the water, add the sugar and stir until it has dissolved. You'll be left with a clear solution. Boil this until it starts turning golden (quite magical to watch) - give it a stir and take off the heat.

Chuck in the walnuts and other ingredients if you so wish, give a good stir and then spread out on some greaseproof paper to cool/set.

I would take some pictures but I've scoffed the lot! Going to try with chestnuts next (but cook them first)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm going to do this! Got chestnuts, walnuts, hazels, and almonds. Looked up a few recipes earlier and saw suggestions for adding rum and soy sauce (together). Started me wondering whether a generous dash of the wife's Tia Maria (last years Christmas present, as yet unopened) would go down well.

Only one way to find out... :D

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Okay, tried the above with chestnuts, and discovered that it really is only going to work if I peel the chestnuts before roasting, which is fiddly, but otherwise I get a chestnut puree getting them out of their shells.

Nice though :)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I was going to try to make marron glacé but as you say, peeling them is a PITA - hope the bits were enjoyable, though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE