Canal Kelpies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh
Must admit I was`nt that impressed as it was being built, but now its finished it does look mighty impressive, especially with a moody sky, will look forward to passing it on the way to the Trossachs .

Scott

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Is large-scale public art automatically a good thing? The Kelpies look fantastic but depending on sight lines they are an intrusion onto the landscape as are all the other big sculptures. When it comes down to it these works are an imposition of the artistic and other taste of one person, or a small group, onto the rest of us and are designed to be intrusive. Should we have mega loudspeakers so that somebody's choice of music can echo around us when out in the country?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
From earliest times people have created specific constructions that in some way give form to landscape; focal points if you will.
From cairns on hilltops to church towers, to carved horses on chalk downs....it's all in it's way 'public art'.

Personally I like the reference points they give us :) and ones that catch the eye and one thinks, "Oh, that's good :D", do double duty.

Andy Scott makes structures that really do 'fit', that really do have visual appeal for the majority. None of the straining to see just what the artist was on while under the creative process/well that didnae work, sort of thing.

http://www.scottsculptures.co.uk/

cheers,
M

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Personally I cant stand them, I think that they just look wrong, but cant pin down as to what is wrong with them

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Personally I cant stand them, I think that they just look wrong, but cant pin down as to what is wrong with them

Each to their own as they say.

Although I've not seen them in person, only photographs and video I personally think they look magnificent.

They're a lot more vibrant and moving than the Angel of the North which I think is dull and boring.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
From earliest times people have created specific constructions that in some way give form to landscape; focal points if you will.
From cairns on hilltops to church towers, to carved horses on chalk downs....it's all in it's way 'public art'.

Personally I like the reference points they give us :) and ones that catch the eye and one thinks, "Oh, that's good :D", do double duty.

Andy Scott makes structures that really do 'fit', that really do have visual appeal for the majority. None of the straining to see just what the artist was on while under the creative process/well that didnae work, sort of thing.

http://www.scottsculptures.co.uk/

cheers,
M
So how many "white horse" type figures could the Downs stand? The existing ones, extra for jubilees, how about celebrity profiles like the suggestion a few years ago of one of Diana Dors? Perhaps any handy sloping surface should have the boring grass replaced by a picture? Isn't there a campaign in Scotland against super-size electricity pylons? These would, after all, act as reference points etc.

For me most of the over-size art equates to the size of the ego of the artist.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nowadays it equates to someone(s) being prepared to pay for the whole shebang, and after the outcry at some of the more 'arty' wastes of money, public art like Andy Scott's is appreciated, and therefore paid for.

Thing is that they do need some upkeep, the ones on the Downs in particular, so I suppose if they are no longer appreciated/ appropriate, they'll just be left to decay.

I had to google Diana Dors :rolleyes: Tbh I can't see that one getting many takers or much financial backing to do it either.

cheers,
Toddy

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The fact that the Downs' figures require upkeep is something in their favour and I do like the idea of picnics having been held for about three thousand years in the same place by the Uffington White Horse when it was being scoured.

The same arguments cannot apply to the hard structures although their decay would be interesting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE