Canadian canoe expedition 2012

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Then away to the heart of the deep unknown, where the trout and the wild moose are. Where the fire burns bright, and the tents gleam white, under the northern star.
--
 Albert Bigelow Paine, Tobeatic, 1908​

INTRODUCTION

The Bushcraft UK, Canadian canoe expedition is a 8 day wilderness canoe trip led by certified UK guides and canoe instructors into one of Canada's many pristine wilderness reserves – The Tobeatic wilderness area of Nova Scotia. The expedition is a "no frills" low cost opportunity to experience top of the range instruction, deep in this unspoilt environment.

During the expedition, students will be expected to participate in routine tasks around the camp such as firewood collection, water collection, and general camp duties. Accommodation will be in tents or under tarps, wild camping on the banks of the rivers and lakes.

COURSE DETAILS:

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY BEFORE MAKING A BOOKING.

Course provider: Bushcraft Expeditions/Truenorthoutdoors
Minimum numbers: 12
Maximum numbers: 16
Minimum age: 18 (16 if accompanied by an adult)

Date of Expedition:
Thursday 17th – 24th May 2012

Expedition go/no go date: 15th February 2012

Duration: 8-day itinerary. Arriving day one/departing day eight.

Timings and pick-up/drop off:

RV time 20:00hr on the 17th May at the Goodwin hotel, Weymouth, NS.

Drop off for travel home 12:00hr on the 24th at the Goodwin Hotel, Weymouth, NS.
(Details and best means of getting to the RV will be emailed to signed up members of the expedition. The cost to get from the airport to Weymouth is approximately £38 at the time of writing.)

Accommodation and catering:

Accommodation: Students provide own tents.

Catering: The Expedition is on a self-catering basis. Rations can be purchased locally on day one but it is recommended that students bring dehydrated or similar rations from UK. Rations will be cooked over open fires or on student provided cookers.

Expedition Cost and payment details:

Expedition Cost: £720.00 (Fully inclusive of VAT)

A Non refundable deposit of £120.00 is required on booking –
THIS DEPOSIT WILL BE REFUNDED IN FULL IF THE EXPEDITION DOES NOT GO AHEAD

Final payments: payable immediately from the 15th February 2012 if expedition takes place and by no later than 15th March. (any one failing to pay their final payment by the 15th March 2012 will lose their deposit and forfeit their place to a reserve)

All bookings and payments should be made directly to Bushcraft Expeditions by the following means:

To pay by credit/debit card:

Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.

To pay by Paypal:

Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700 or on the email address below. You will need to provide your full name, address, contact (email and phone) details, and BCUK user name. Do not make any payment until you have confirmed your booking with Bushcraft Expeditions office.

inforequest@bushcraftexpeditio ns.com (use this email address for Paypal payments)

To pay by bank transfer:
If paying directly into the bank by bank transfer etc please phone the number above for the account details. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.

All payments are by secure means.

On receipt of your booking and clearance of your deposit, all paper work will be sent via email.

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT NO STUDENTS BOOK FLIGHTS OR PURCHASE EXPEDITION EQUIPMENT OR FOOD UNTIL THE EXPEDITION HAS BEEN CONFIRMED TO BE TAKING PLACE. NIETHER BUSHCRAFT UK OR BUSHCRAFT EXPEDITIONS WILL BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY EXPENSE AS A RESULT OF STUDENTS NOT COMPLYING WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENT

Subjects covered:

1. Outfitting, kit and equipment for a canoe expedition.
2. Tandem Canoe skills on open still and moving water.
3. Daily routine and considerations for canoe travel.
4. Expedition medical procedures.
5. Fire lighting and fire husbandry.
6. Tracking and stalking.
7. Traps and trapping.
8. Fishing.
9. water safety.
10. Field cookery.
11. Riverine Navigation.

Included in the price:

1. Full instruction in Bushcraft and Survival from certified UK/English speaking Guides.
2. Full instruction in open Canadian canoeing and canoe expeditionary skills.
3. All internal transfers from/to the meeting point to the put in point.
4. Camping fees and permits throughout.
5. Local site fees on day one.
6. Fully trained on site expedition medical cover.
7. Canoe transport fees and pick up fees
8. Nova Scotia Fishing licence.
9. Canoe, paddles, PFD's and ancillary canoe safety equipment.

Not included in the cost:

1. International flights/transport to designated meeting point.
2. Any additional activities other than those stated.
3. Clothing and equipment hire other than that stated
4. Meals during the expedition.
5. Trip/cancellation insurance.

Optional equipment hire available:

1. Small, medium and large waterproof canoe bags @ £TBC per day
2. 2 man Tents @ £TBC

Kit and Equipment requirements:

Clothing you will need to bring:

• Light weight quick drying "Cargo" type trousers (1 pair)
  • Long sleeve shirt (1)
  • Walking socks (3 pairs)
  • Underwear
  • Large brimmed sun hat or similar
  • Light weight Wellington boots
  • Belt
  • Evening/relaxation wear
  • Shorts/swimming trunks
  • Towel
  • lightweight boots (for when ashore)
  • Warm fleece or similar. (for evenings)
  • Rain wear (Trousers and jacket)
Equipment you will need to bring:

• Rucksack or Holdall (65-70 ltr) with waterproof liner if not hiring canoe bag (No hard cases)
  • 3 season sleeping bag
  • Small travel pillow (optional, but recommended)
  • Water bottle (1 ltr min) and mug and plate/bowl
  • Cooking utensils and cooker
  • Fixed blade sheath type knife
  • Small pocket knife
  • Small Axe (Optional)
  • Whistle
  • Orienteering Compass
  • Lighter
  • 10 metres of strong nylon cord
  • Note book and pencil
  • Wash bag and toiletries (Including toilet paper)
  • Head torch and spare batteries
  • Personal Medications
  • Small personal medical kit containing plasters, aspirin etc
  • Sun block
  • Mosquito repellent
  • Water purification tablets or Iodine (Sufficient for 8 litres a day x 8 days)

• Passport.

Last edited:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Looks like a great trip. I have not paddled in that part of Canada and a really good price. I have flown air transat to Toronto a couple of times. They are the budget airline of Air France and are truely awful. Think Ryan air only worse. I would invest a few extra pennies and fly air canada.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
If i see enough interest in this trip, i'm definitely in for this trip.

Just dont want to pay a deposit of £150 just now and have it sitting with Bushcraft Expeditions for over a year for it just to be cancelled due to lack of numbers.

How about we start a wee list and try to drum up some definite interest in this canoe trip.

I will start it off.

1. Coln18 (Not just interest, but a definite)

carlcmss

Dec 18, 2009
Onatrio, Canada
Hi,
Is this still going on??? If so Air Transat are an awesome airline, flown with them over 50 times and only had 1 bad flight, flown air canada back from Japan once and it was BAD! Budget means budget, from blighty to Canada Transat is the best there is for the price. 720 pounds for a week canoe trip seems steep to me, we do it for $500 including food! www.schoolinthewoods.ca But looking at the list they cover a lot.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Now that sounds like a trip I would just love to make!
is there any way I can be kept up to date on this or do I have to check here?

Dec 21, 2005
In Exile
I am up for this trip and happy to put a deposit down to make it happen. EDIT... Too excited to read properly hehe... Saw the phone number on closer inspection!

Cheers,

C

Last edited:

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Hi All

The following is an official list of all those that have paid their deposits for this expedition and consequently represent the numbers so far:

1.Bighead
2.ShaunRoberts
3.FluffyERug
4.gan_pi
5.clubduvet

Last edited:

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
oh tempting! i need to think about this (and I could fly for € around 600 round trip from Frankfurt...)

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Hi All

The following is an official list of all those that have paid their deposits for this expedition and consequently represent the numbers so far:

1.Bighead
2.ShaunRoberts
3.FluffyERug
4.gan_pi
5.clubduvet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE