Canadian Belt Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Haggis

Nomad
I started to order a #1 a while back, then a friend of mine said he and his girlfriend planned to drive all the way across Canada to Nova Scotia during the summer. I mentioned the knife company in St, Pictou, and he immediately offered to pick one off the shelf for me. Now, I either wait to see if he actually makes the trip, or I tell him I couldn't wait and bought one offline. Mark Hill is making a knife for me just now, so I guess I can wait,,, maybe,,,

award95

Jun 23, 2013
Kettlebridge
I actually have a Stuart Barker one.
I've had it for a wee while but never really used it seriously.
It really is an interesting knife. But I'm curious to hear from those that have used it.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Got a No. 4 flat grind, bird and trout flat grind, boat/Canadian Army and my all time favourite the large camper flat grind, had the latter for at least 17 years and through poor sharpening technique has lost a fair bit of the curve to the cutting edge. I love them to bits except the boat knife as I can't get on with the hollow grind. The only things I'd replace them with would be custom made versions of the no.4 and large camper, if I had the spare money.

You can get seconds which have tiny flaws, cheap from the company and kits which reduce the price.

The one downer is the sheaths are dear to buy separately as I'd like to get flapped jobs for the No. 4 and large camper.

atb

tom

Last edited:

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Got the Cold Steel clone. Handy to use and holds a nice edge. My favourite knife for butchering game birds or any meat cutting chores. Find it a bit light for feather sticks etc.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Got a No. 4 flat grind, bird and trout flat grind, boat/Canadian Army and my all time favourite the large camper flat grind, had the latter for at least 17 years and through poor sharpening technique has lost a fair bit of the curve to the cutting edge. I love them to bits except the boat knife as I can't get on with the hollow grind. The only things I'd replace them with would be custom made versions of the no.4 and large camper, if I had the spare money.

You can get seconds which have tiny flaws, cheap from the company and kits which reduce the price.

The one downer is the sheaths are dear to buy separately as I'd like to get flapped jobs for the No. 4 and large camper.

atb

tom
a

are you allowed to post that without pictures?

:D

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It was up else where but if you insist.... ;)

Grohmanns.JPG

The large camper is a bit more worn down since that was taken.

ATB

Tom

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
so what is the issue with the hollow grind? Never owned a knives with that grind was it an edge retention issue or a problem with sharpening?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hollow ground was the most popular grind when I was growing up, so that's the one I'm most comfortable with (it's still the most common grind on hunting knives) But it can be a bear to resharpen.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
In my hand it sucked at carving wood, i don't know if anyone else had the same problem but despite being wickedly sharp it tended to stick all the time.

Also the handle on the boat knife is chunkier than on the camper and it was never as comfortable in my hand.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE