Canada in September - What to expect?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Hello All :)

Need some info please? - A group of us are off to Canada in September for 3 weeks of camping and Canoeing, Starting in Toronto before moving on to Algonquin for day hikes and a nice long Canoe trip :D

I've found on the internet that the temperatures will be around 10-20degrees, with a possibility of rain :umbrella:

What I'm struggling to find out is what will the mozzies / blackfly / other flying pests situation be? Will we be visited by biblical plagues? or will we be left alone? :cool:

Also, what's the wildlife situation in Algonquin Park.. particularly the bears? :eek:

Any and all info welcome - it promises to be quite a trip :red:

cheers in advance

Steve :)

We visited Toronto and Algonquin in September and the weather was about 20°C, the first week of Sept and approx 15°C the second week. I loved Algonquin. You're lucky to do a long canoe trip. DH doesn't canoe, so I had a few single days canoeing while he went hiking, but I didn't want to take off for more than one day on my own!

I don't remember any flying pests, but we had fairly dry weather in Algonquin (I think we all our rain in Toronto). I don't remember hearing/reading about bears in the park either. Are there any? Obviously on day trips I didn't get so far into the interior as you will, but if bears are a problem they are likely to be near the visitors, ie easy pickings of foodstuffs.

Enjoy your trip, you lucky so-and-so! :D

Ruvio

Nomad
just had a chat with a canadian friend of mine and she says to expect fat americans in the cities, and the most beautiful time of the year out of them
theres a few midges and things, and it's always best to keep your food in bags up trees, but other than that, it's a lovely time of year

have a lot of fun mate

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I believe there are black bears in algonquin but as long as you don't leave food laying around you should be fine. No midges around here, well I haven't noticed any at least, just mosquitos and such, I've never camped in algonquin myself so I can't tell you how bad they are there but I do remember a Ray Mears episode where he was canoeing in Canada and he said that an exposed forearm can be bitten 250 or so times in one minute in certain areas, not sure where he was exactly though but I don't think it'll be that bad there. There are definately moose there, I've seen a few, just don't get too close obviously.

Anyways, have fun and don't worry about the bears.

gerryg

Jul 10, 2009
Ontario
Hi,

I was born in Scotland, raised in Canada, live northwest of Toronto and I’m new to BCUK.

September is a great time to vist Ontario and Algonquin Park. Spring is the main season for mosquitoes and blackflies so you should have very little to worry about. If you want to be 100% certain pick up a bug suit cheap at Bass Pro in Vaughan on your way out of the city.

There are bears in Algonquin but they are rarely seen. Here is a page with some good information for you. http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/nature/mammals/bear.html

"Although Black Bears are reasonably common in Algonquin Park with the population thought to be around 2,000 (about one for every three square kilometres) there is no particularly good place for them and you will have to be very lucky to see one."

At that time of year the days can get quite balmy so be prepared for hot weather as well as cool. The evenings usually cool off to 10 - 15C which make for comfortable nights sleeping. Enjoy your trip and be sure to post photos when you return. gerry

There are bears in Algonquin but they are rarely seen. Here is a page with some good information for you. http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/nature/mammals/bear.html

"Although Black Bears are reasonably common in Algonquin Park with the population thought to be around 2,000 (about one for every three square kilometres) there is no particularly good place for them and you will have to be very lucky to see one.

Ah, just as well we didn't know about that before our trip, as DH would have been very reluctant to do solo hikes in the park. He refused to take a backpacking trip into the Gates of the Arctic NP when we were in Alaska as he'd had enough with worrying about them (and spotting a fair few) in Kenai Fjords and Denali NPs.

gerryg

Jul 10, 2009
Ontario
As I was up late last night posting I forgot to mention a good resource for your research. Canadian Canoe Routes is the premier site and forum for canoeing in Canada. I am sure you will find lots of information there that will be of interest. With just a quick look I found a thread on Canoeing in Algonquin in September you may enjoy.

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=23054

Be sure to check out more than just the forum as there is good stuff all over that site, gerry

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
what to expect arrrrr-

adam needing to be tipped out of bed to wake him
Dave getting all the attension from any nice girls
and Stew failing misserable in any ice cream eating competition and falling out of his chair when drunk :) .

Have a good one, look forward to seeing the photos.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I was in Toronto at the end of October and we had 26oc!
Tis fair to say it was unusual for the time of the year but if it was me I would have a variety of clothing!
Or you could ring my mate or email Mungo a week b4 you go and see what the weather is like.
Dave

numbersix

Mar 26, 2009
Ontario
The summer here has not been good by Canadian standards. We have had lots of rain and the temperatures have not been as hot as expected. There is talk of us getting a good September like an Indian summer. You never know though.
I have camping trips booked for every weekend in September and the first few weeks in October. Most of the flies will have gone by then hopefully. There will still be mozzies though. At least i hope all the horse and deerflies will have calmed down by then. I'm glad I live in Toronto due to the lack of biting flies.
As far as bears go you shouldnt have to worry. Where my inlaws live they worry about bears as hunting has been banned for a good number of years and the numbers have shot up. When your neighbours tell you they only walk in the woods in winter cos of the bears you tend to listen to them! Having said that it is still highly unlikely you will ever see one. Coyotes on the other hand can scare the bloody life out of you when they are near. One night the howling was so loud it sounded like they were right next to me. I convinced myself it wasnt the case until i saw lots of large pawprints in the mud the next morning.
I am jealous of the canoeing trip as i only have weekends so never go that far.

Whatever happens the weather will be no worse than the UK's
Have a great time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE