Can you tell me what this is Please

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
As mesquite said it's a birch polypore.It can be dried out and sliced up and used as a tinder tho it's not the best.You can also slice of a thin layer and use it as plaster.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It will work to carry an ember when it's dry but it'll burn through a lot more quickly than a fomes would.

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Never heard that before about polypores Peter, have you tried it ?

That would be really useful if it's right

I have used to keep mozzies away, it works as good as having a lit fag in your mouth but without the known cancer risk. I have also used it treat sore throats, and blocked noses by boiling the polypore and inhaling the vapours. Dried it can used as razorstrop, plaster, cold cure, dye. It tastes like TCP.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
So if I have a lit fag in one hand and some smouldering polypore in the other I'm guaranteed to be midge free ???

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
So if I have a lit fag in one hand and some smouldering polypore in the other I'm guaranteed to be midge free ???

If you did so while wearing a burka, subjected to full health and safety assesment.

What I have done when it gets really bad is put mugwort or wormwood on top of the smoldering bit. It has a radius of about 2 metres, the chemical insect coils work for about 5 metres though. I have sat around a smoky fire while wayland and some of the others were getting eaten alive dispite wearing repelant. I was fine I don't normally get bitten. My son does, he can get hassled even when he is next to a coil. He has a hoody now the zips up over his face. Basically I can't guarantee it will work for you, some people must give off the "Midgy Buffet" vibe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE