Can you read this engraving?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Just found this old billhook in the shed, and was trying to read the engraving. But I cannot make it out.
Could you? Thanks.

52261337738_6290668c56_c.jpg

52261337798_45d3ebae42_c.jpg

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Pore a little molasses onto the mark...leave for a day...wash off...

The best results I have ever had with removing rust has been this way...

Try it just once, and see the difference... :)
I don't have any molasses. What about white vinegar? I used to use vinegar for rust removal from the old wood working tools such as rusty plane blades, drill bits etc.

Last edited:

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Still have not cleaned it up due to having had to do other chores around the house. We cut down a few birch trees and blackthron bushes in the garden. Lots of work it was. Still have to clear up the twigs, leaves and cut branches all over the garden. :(

This billhook is quite unusual in the way that the blade is curved for better cutting the hedges or grass by swiping up the ground.

52261318276_18bfa1e59a_c.jpg

52261805180_c8b8fe7b2e_c.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I don't have any molasses. What about white vinegar? I used to use vinegar for rust removal from the old wood working tools such as rusty plane blades, drill bits etc.
If you're going to use vinegar treat the whole blade rather than just the markings as you'll get an uneven etch if you decide to clean up the blade at a later date

Reactions: spader

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Pore a little molasses onto the mark...leave for a day...wash off...

The best results I have ever had with removing rust has been this way...

Try it just once, and see the difference... :)

Will get some next time in local super. It seems have lots of good uses :D Thanks.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Yes this is an interesting billhook. The angled blade feels, it will be more efficient in hedging and clearing bushes. Also feels very well balanced in hand even if it is a quite large billhook.

I was wondering if anyone has / uses this type of billhook (angled blade), or knows more about it (which companies used to make this type of billhook).

It looks and feels a very old antique billhook, and is definitely all original even the wooden handle (split due to age).

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Rubbing the engraving with chalk or talc may bring out the letters a bit. Used to work on worn serial numbers.

Looks to be hand stamped, either by the smith or by the owner, my grandads tools were always marked with his initials.

Do you think it was made angled, or could it be something that has been modified (stuck in a vice and bent) by the end user?

I have an old paring knife which I bent to help cut weeds out of the lawn.

Reactions: spader and Toddy

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I will have a go today with rubbing with chalk or talc.

The bending seems definitely done in the factory or by the original maker. I have the other old billhooks with usual straight blades, and cannot imagine bening the blades by myself. I would fear that they may snap off, if done as is.

But I suppose if you are a professional blacksmith with all the tools and skills, then it would be possible to do it by heating and forging and hammering on the anvil, if intended. I don't feel it is amateur DIY job, which is likely risking breakage or ruining the hardness of the blade.

Yes, the thickness of the spine near the handle is greater seeminglu to ensure strength of the blade, and maintaining good balance perhaps?

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i can't help with the name on it (I'm not much of a geek when it comes to makers' marks on tools) but the bend to the blade is damage rather than design. Most likely it was run over by a tractor or something, a thing that I have done and I'm sure many others have! :D

If you are on Facebook then post pics on the Billhook Junkies group, there are plenty of folks there that are knowledgeable about such things. Bob Burgess, who runs that 'load of old billhooks' site is one of those folks and could help via an email if you don't do farcebook

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
i can't help with the name on it (I'm not much of a geek when it comes to makers' marks on tools) but the bend to the blade is damage rather than design. Most likely it was run over by a tractor or something, a thing that I have done and I'm sure many others have! :D

If you are on Facebook then post pics on the Billhook Junkies group, there are plenty of folks there that are knowledgeable about such things. Bob Burgess, who runs that 'load of old billhooks' site is one of those folks and could help via an email if you don't do farcebook

I have another old vintage billhook in the same shape and size, and it also has the blade exactly the same curve and angle. They actually came togetther as a set a few year ago I recall now. Will get the photo of the 2nd set tomorrow. Both of them are in too consistent perfect shape and condition for damaged billhooks by tractor :D

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE