Can you ID this mug?

O

oilyrag

Can someone ID this mug? I want a bottle to fit inside it, preferably of the same material, stainless steel. Did it originally have a bottle in a previous life? Thanks for any help.

img019wu8.jpg

img020yg8.jpg

img022mc6.jpg

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Looks like American WW II canteen mug, the mug sits in the pouch as in picture then canteen sits in mug. Not absolutely difinitive answer but probably close. The Argentinians had something similar.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
IIRC the British Crusader cup has the handles on the same side as the curve...It looks pretty much like the dutch army 44Pattern cup that I use. If it is then the Dutch 58 pattern bottle will fit it.

Two of the pictures dont work for me. So can see all the features.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
its a dutch army one - modelled on the later US one with smaller handles, fits the US style bottles copied by a few armies. little smaller than the US and Crusader cups but average price under a fiver they are a good buy. I've got one in the cupboard somewhere and used it for years after I lost my first US one.

the only drawback is if you boil a brew in it its hotter on the lips than the other two as the edge is rolled over so the heat doesn't dissipate. a bit of insulation tape solves this.

they never had metal bottles with them. all the issue US style bottles will fit as will the civvy copies but they are often a little bit smaller. best thing is to find an american one with cover then you wont need to buy a pouch for it. buy the proper bottles though - should cost 4 quid on their own but do a search.

the germans also issued the same mug and might still do.

web tex use a similar cup and a copy crusader cooker in their 'warrior' cookset but neither are up to the job. it will work with a crusader cooker if you want it to. if you want to make a lid then use thick foil.

let me know if you want a source and I'll stick some links up :)

O

oilyrag

Thanks for all your speedy help, could you please post a link to remove any ambiguity?

O

oilyrag

Thanks for that, first time I've seen that type of water bottle, I'd never have guessed it was the one for the cup.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I've just picked up a swiss army water bottle with a very usefull cup on the bottom of it :) trouble is they were designed for jacket pockets and its 2 inches too big for any pouch I've got.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Its defo a 44 pat mug, just fits on top of a 58 waterbottle or have you seen the Green cheap waterbottles you can buy for £2.50,they come with a press stud pouch, well the 44 mugs fit on the bottom.

Gray

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE