can you heat/boil a ceramic mug ?

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
can you heat/boil water in a enamel mug on a stove/ hobo/meths etc ?

24oz-camping-enamel-mug-cup-with-stainless-steel-rim.jpg

k.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Do you mean a normal sort of coffee mug? If so I would have thought the chances of it exploding due to trapped air bubbles would be quite high, but then maby not due to them having been fired in the manufacturing process? to be honest chap, i don't know.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
do you mean Ceramic or Enamelled?
if you mean enamelled which is shown in that pic then you have no issues, in order to get enamel on to something you have to heat it to a silly temp to melt, and the only things that withstand this really are metals.
you also get enamelled kettles for use on a fire so yeah you shouldn't have any issues.

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
I was meaning the unbreakable camping type :) im not sure what there made out of tbh .... they tend to be the same style is that 1 pictured

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
do you mean Ceramic or Enamelled?
if you mean enamelled which is shown in that pic then you have no issues, in order to get enamel on to something you have to heat it to a silly temp to melt, and the only things that withstand this really are metals.
you also get enamelled kettles for use on a fire so yeah you shouldn't have any issues.
to enamell metal it gets heated to around 750 and 850 °C

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If it is an enamel cup then the color will be the enamel it self so it won't burn off, I use a set of enamel pots for our bbq and other than a bit of soot they look as good as new.

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
Ah right I think I understand now , so an enamel mug is some sort of metal but with an enamel coating ? iv see chipped enamel and damaged mugs that show something metalic underneath, I was really just wanting to know if I can use it on my small meths stove :)

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
to enamell metal it gets heated to around 750 and 850 °C

Aye thats the one, haven't done enamelling since high school and we had to do it in a special room with massive gloves and face plate and this torch affair that looked like you could cut metal with it :D

garethw

Settler
Yep been doing this for years, on stoves, fires even the colman petrol stove.... my 500ml enamel mug was bought by my mum for my first cub scout camp when I was 8.... Still using it 40 years later. Bit chipped but fine... Kind of a curiosity as it has 'Made in the USSR' engraved on the base.
cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE