Can U we eat hornbeam seeds?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Te Waoko

Jan 13, 2011
France
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows if hornbeam seeds are comestible. All the small animals round where I live eat them in large quantities. I've heard they're slightly antihistaminic but I don't know if thats true. I can't find any info on the net about the seeds.

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to the forum :cool:

If you mean carpinus betulus, then yes, afaik, it is edible, but how palatable it is depends on the variety.

cheers,
Toddy

Te Waoko

Jan 13, 2011
France
Yeah thats right, carpinus betulus. They taste good but it would be a real pain in the bottom to collect, and open large quantities.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
what are these hornseeds are in they Oz? i wouldnt mine tryin them

Hornbeam is native to England and parts of Europe.
carpbetv.jpg

I don't know if they've been introduced or if they could even survive in parts of Australia

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
For one reason or another I had to remove a small limb quite low down from a Hormbeam a bit later something cought my eye and I noticed it dripping sap I put my crusaider mug under and collected a small mug of sap and yes it taisted rather good It was pretty much like Silver birch sap but not as sweet Quite a few of us had a sip with no ill affects so im saying yes it is safe and pallatable

Te Waoko

Jan 13, 2011
France
Okay I'll try collecting some sap this spring. Well the seeds are probably edible. I wonder what kind of nutriton values it has?

I'm sure theres hornbeam growing in the towns and parks of south Austrailia that were bought over from England.

For one reason or another I had to remove a small limb quite low down from a Hormbeam a bit later something cought my eye and I noticed it dripping sap I put my crusaider mug under and collected a small mug of sap and yes it taisted rather good It was pretty much like Silver birch sap but not as sweet Quite a few of us had a sip with no ill affects so im saying yes it is safe and pallatable
excellent my folks have a massive hornbeam on thier drive
something for the spring projects

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE