Can someone suggest a sharpening stone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
Bit of a newbie I am afraid, bought myself a Mora Knife, on the advice of various posts (it seems very solid and comfortable, plus having no experience I am not so bothered about wrecking a £10 knife). It arrived yesterday and sadly the edge on it is not particularly sharp, so I am eager to try sharpening it myself, simple question is can anyone suggest a good sharpening stone?

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
Thanks for all the advice. Went for a DC4 to start with (thanks SimonM), reasonably priced, and I like the idea of being able to carry it with me if needed, and keeping my kit nice and small...

I love the idea of a Japanese waterstone (as a fan of kendo) so I think one of those may be on the cards next...

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Sorry Ged, a steel ? Are these the sharpening rods you see chefs using ? (Apologies for my ignorance).

Yes, they are used to re-align the edge as the edge can sometimes roll over during use which gives the effect of being blunt. A few passes over a steel puts the edge straight again before use.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Yes, they are used to re-align the edge as the edge can sometimes roll over during use which gives the effect of being blunt. A few passes over a steel puts the edge straight again before use.

That's right, the advantage being you can try to recover the cutting edge without losing much metal. Although admittedly, with some of the blades that people here seem to like, loss of metal isn't a big concern. For the day-to-day stuff, apart from chopping wood (where I mostly use saws and axes) I tend to use smallish folders, so preserving the blade material can be an issue. It isn't that I can't afford to replace any tool, I just like to get the most out of it. Some of the multi-tools for example have skinny blades that you could sharpen away to nothing. Then you'd have five screwdrivers, a pair of pliers, a file, a thing for getting stones out of a horse's hooves -- and no knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE