Can someone steer me in the right direction

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I am a budding bushcraft enthusiast I have a fairly good amount of kit all apart from a sleep system. I have a few things I need it to provide me with. I suffer with a bad back on occasion. I love the idea of a hammock. I really like the hennesy hammocks. I sleep best in a fetal position is this possible in a hammock??? I will need an entire setup but I Am on a budget. I also have a total dislike for spiders you may laugh but I have to condsider it. Any advise would be great.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
If your going to go down the hammock route I'd recommend getting the widest one you can find, I can side sleep in my 1.8m wide Green Hornet without any issue. The foetal position might be a little more difficult as your aiming to get a flat laying position, again a wider hammock helps with this IME.
Budget wise its worth factoring in an upgraded suspension system. I like woopie slings, tree huggers and caribiners which will set you back around £30.
Do you have a tarp already?

Some great info on hammocking in general in this series of videos...

[video=youtube;d7NZVqpBUV0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0[/video]

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Look at Ukhammocks, I can sleep all curled up on one side in my WoodsmanX. An excellent hammock with a very flat lay. And all set with Whoopie sling suspension. Not cheap though.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'm not keen on spiders either , especially house spiders. I've slept in tents , bivvys and natural shelters in all manner of configurations for about 8 years and I've only ever found 6 spiders in my gear in that time so not much to worry about.

For a tent I could recommend a North Face Tadpole- asoloutely brilliant and lightweight too.

For a bivvy I could recommend a RAB Ridge Raider- always served me well.

Don't know about hammocks as I'm yet to give them a try myself.

Hope this helps, good luck :).

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
I sleep curled upon my side in my hammock. It is very comfortable. I have the DD Frontline hammock, their 3x3 Tarp rigged diamond style and their underquilt. I hang it from whoopie slings and tree straps with a carabiner at each end of the hammock.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
How do find the frontline regarding condensation Dave? If I'm right in thinking the frontline is the waterproof base version...

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
They do look good for the money. This is really difficult as I need a hommock tarp sleep mat and a sleeping bag and without spending a million quid of every option available I think it's nearly possible to get a good sleep system setup :(

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
If you have a bad back, on a budget and need the full system a tent may be the better option. I have a khyam pocket duo. Cost £25, excellent value. There's a smaller mono version on eBay now for £19

+1 for tenth wonder as well.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE