can opener

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Nifty. I know that no-one really NEEDS to know this, but the official designation for that sort of can opener is a P51. The smaller version is called the P-38. I still swear by my SAK opener, though.

Cheers,

Adam

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I think I have a few P-51 if I can find them I'll put in the package I'm sending over to British Red. I think they cost about 99 cents each when I got them. Like you say they last a life time so why should I keep so many?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well blow me!

I was just going to ask you lot if you had a couple to spare.

(I have several bits to swap)

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
addyb said:
Nifty. I know that no-one really NEEDS to know this, but the official designation for that sort of can opener is a P51. The smaller version is called the P-38. I still swear by my SAK opener, though.

Cheers,

Adam
i cant get the nack to using my sak can opener
leon

B

bushyboo

once again you guys have came through for me
bloodline i dunno what ive got that i could swap as im just starting to get some gear together unless you need any kind of fishing gear because thats the only thing i got plenty off

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Leon,

Just follow the instructions that came in the box with your SAK!

Or...read the following:

You've got the Camper model, right? That means that your can opener is not the combi tool found on the smaller size SAK models. Basically, you need to keep the can opener as close to the rim (lip) of the can as possible. Push it forward to take a bite out, but don't let the screwdriver bit go into the can or you'll muck up the whole ordeal. Then advance the opener. Voila!

Adam

PS: I've found that the cheaper varieties of tins (cans) don't work so well with an SAK opener as the metal on them tends to be quite flimsy and the can warps instead of opens.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
addyb said:
Leon,

Just follow the instructions that came in the box with your SAK!

Or...read the following:

You've got the Camper model, right? That means that your can opener is not the combi tool found on the smaller size SAK models. Basically, you need to keep the can opener as close to the rim (lip) of the can as possible. Push it forward to take a bite out, but don't let the screwdriver bit go into the can or you'll muck up the whole ordeal. Then advance the opener. Voila!

Adam

PS: I've found that the cheaper varieties of tins (cans) don't work so well with an SAK opener as the metal on them tends to be quite flimsy and the can warps instead of opens.

When you get the flinsey cans I find its best to punch a series of slots/holes without trying to connect them, then when you have a series of 'perforations' around the edge you can go back and punch through the bits that you left connected, it avoids stressing the sides of the can so much.

Cheers
Nick

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Oh God! how sad do I sound, being an expert on opening tins of food.

Take me out the back and shoot me someone.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A radical, but very showy way of opening a can is to wrap a little Det Cord around it just under the rim... dont expect to find any of the contents after detonation though!
If the can has a seam try melting the solder - older and 3rd world cans especially - to have the can fall apart. Again you will probably lose the contents......
Jerome K Jerome found that beating a can with an oar fairly useless...

B

bushyboo

hi bloodline
my can opener arrived
many many thanks :You_Rock_

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Last Easter, the lad and I went out.
I forgot the can opener.

His basic idea was "Ah well, we won't starve."

A fallkniven F1 opens tins very easily.
Punch the hole; gently push blade down, and seesaw it round the tin.

Makes ure you don't cut yourself on either the knife or the ragged lid.

You do know that canned food was invented about 50 years before the can opener ?

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
lastscanzb0.jpg

Ive got the smaller one (p-38). It came from an c.rats vietnam combat meal that a friend cromeplated for me and it's been on my key ring for years! cheers
topknot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE