Can I make my own rucksack ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
This has been bothering me since I joined the forum as I cannot afford the high £ for even a second hand one.:eek:

Also more recently what about a bivvi (bivy, bivi) bag can I make one of those too as they too are quite highly priced at the moment ?

Anyone want to give me any pointers as to design and fabrics etc would be greatly appreciated.

Richie.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ummmm you don't actually have to ask for permission you know.

Seriously though lots of people have made them on tight budgets too. I'm sure there are PDF of plans here or at BCUSA as well. Justwait though I'm sure some helpful soul will pop up and offer you more worthwhile suggestions that I've done.

Good luck and be sure to show photos, sounds like a great project to bury yourself in.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
This has been bothering me since I joined the forum as I cannot afford the high £ for even a second hand one.:eek:

Also more recently what about a bivvi (bivy, bivi) bag can I make one of those too as they too are quite highly priced at the moment ?

Anyone want to give me any pointers as to design and fabrics etc would be greatly appreciated.

Richie.

It all depends on the size of rucksack you want as you can get upto 30ltrs (more than enough for a couple of days trip) for less than £15 if you look at places like sports direct. I'm sure you could pick up something good for about that price form Endicotts (know it's a bit far but I'm sure they'll post to you - just give them a ring). I'd ring them about bivi bags too. Or see what surplas stores you have near you.

I'm pretty sure you can get a bag and a bivi sorted together for £40 or so.

if you want cheaper then you can make a rucksack from a blanket roll and use that as your sleeping bag and use a pound shop tarp as your shelter. I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who's tried that.

If you want any more advice just ask. I do have a general rule that I use nothing that costs more than £10 and don't buy if I can make. The expensive kit I have is gifts.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've made several rucksacks: Here, here and here.
and I can safely say that it is well worth doing. I hardly ever use my commercially made sacks these days and the small one is used on a daily basis to carry my sarnies and stuff to work.

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
Thanks very much all for your replies and links , you have given me something to think about.
It does beg the question '' What do you want the rucksack for ?''. My initial thoughts where to pack all gear in a rucksack , but a army holdall will do for that , but after more consideration a smaller one for normal day use will be fine.

Many thanks.

Sure, you can make a rucksack. I know several guys who have. You can make anything. But if you’ve never sewn anything before, I would recommend a pouch first.

But if the aim is to save money, DIY isn’t necessarily going to save you money. It might, but it might also end up costing you about the same. There is a very good chance that your first or second or third attempt won’t be up to snuff, necessitating more attempts.

bushmad

Jun 27, 2011
Cheshire
"Making Camping and Outdoor Gear: A Practical Guide to Design and Construction" by David Platten

"Gear for Outdoors and How to Make it" by Hazel Constance

Both of these books are available used through Amazon and for less than £10 all in. They explain thoroughly how to make your own gear including rucksacks. Very basic patterns but they can be adapted and modified as required.

Cheers

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
"Making Camping and Outdoor Gear: A Practical Guide to Design and Construction" by David Platten

"Gear for Outdoors and How to Make it" by Hazel Constance

Both of these books are available used through Amazon and for less than £10 all in. They explain thoroughly how to make your own gear including rucksacks. Very basic patterns but they can be adapted and modified as required.

Cheers

Have a look at www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk patterns there for packs and even bivvi bags leaflets 3 and 8 or 9 might be what you are after..... pretty good designer too (I get no royalties these days though)....

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Why not go for a Roycroft pack?

clicky

I've made one with a blanket and a tarp, with the paracord for the straps as my line for putting the tarp up.
With a bit of work, the three sticks can be made into a bowsaw frame. :D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I made it for a scout camp to prove a point to the scouts who seemed to need a 120l pack for a weekend camp.
Sadly I lost the photos when I got a virus on my old computer.
I do have my kit list though.
I had;
Woollen Blanket,
3x3 tarp,
14cm Billy,
Bowsaw blade (in the billy, rolled up),
Swannie bush shirt,
Down vest,
tinder pouch,
SFA axe,
Wayland chain,
Candle lantern,
Crusader cup/lid/cooker/ penny stove/meths,
tea caddy,
ridge line rope (used to make the pack harness)
Paracord (lashes the kit to the packframe)

It worked quite well.

One of these days I'll do it again.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I made it for a scout camp to prove a point to the scouts who seemed to need a 120l pack for a weekend camp...Wayland chain...One of these days I'll do it again.

Did the scouts get the point?
What is a 'Wayland chain'?
Yes, do it again and get some pics up please. :)

This blog shows a very minimal pack set up that uses an old external pack frame with various bits of gear attached to it. More ideas for the OP.

:)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have seen some great rucksacks for under a tenner at charity shops.
Bootmarkets a a great source for everything you need also.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Did the scouts get the point?
Of course they didn't :D the girls need four changes of clothes every day.... Apparently.
What is a 'Wayland chain'?
That's a length of light chain with a hook at each end so you can suspend a pot over a fire from a tripod.
Yes, you can make a pot hook, but the chain is so much more adjustable, and the weight is negligible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE