Can I be taught to make fire

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
Im going to Scotland at the end of the month and have A wealth of knowledge thanks to BCUK,I will be looking for pignuts, ramsons,and hawthorn leaves,to make a lovely salad :D cant wait,
But what I was wondering is,would anyone take the time to teach me step by step over the next two weeks, how to make fire,it will probably take me this long,from what I remember of my Dad trying it ( 8 hours till he got a slight ember).
I hope somebody could spare the time to show me, example, what exact wood to use,how long the shoe lace etc etc :eek:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Have you any method of lighting fire in mind. The easiest way is to pour a bit of meths or petrol or something very flamable onto a heap of tinder and throw a match onto it (carefully). The hardest way, has to be the underwater hand drill...............Jon

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Are you going to make the north meet at the end of april? It isn't too far for the day, unless that is when you are in Scotland!
There will be lots of different ways to make fire demonstrated.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Easy does it Soloboy,
Frankly for this time of year, with its questionable weather prospects, I'd use whatever method of fire lighting worked in the conditions. I wouldn't want to rely on a primative method if, in the end, it didn't work. It is more than worth the practice to get a fire lit with one match - it gets you thinking about your tinder, kindling, what type of construction and methods of sustaining the fire - all of which are as worthy as the method of ignition.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
if you're at the north meet you can learn all about firesteels, flint and steel, fire drill, chemical firelighting amongst others.
there will be members proficient in all these skills in attendance

also there is a member who can make kelly kettles go "WHOOMP"!!!!
:D

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Jon Pickett said:
Have you any method of lighting fire in mind. The easiest way is to pour a bit of meths or petrol or something very flamable onto a heap of tinder and throw a match onto it (carefully). The hardest way, has to be the underwater hand drill...............Jon
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
True...Meths is fun :eek: But I think ive got mixed up on my dates,I am in Scotland then,If there are any other meet ups coming soon,I will definately go.Will you guys let us know when the next one is please :)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Jon Pickett said:

I'm going off to try the underwater hand drill. I may be some time.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
rich59 said:
I'm going off to try the underwater hand drill. I may be some time.

At least you won't have to wet your hands Rich.
I will get round to sending you a photo of that hand drill, I said I would send you, one day..............................Jon

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
I have several pieces of wood

http://img62.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf02152eq.jpg (sorry for the head tilt) :sad6:

The drill is french oak and the hearth was french oak,but all I got was burnt shavings :( .So changed the hearth to pine and still got burnt shavings.We even cheated and put the drill into a cordless screwdriver to speed the process up,with still the same result.

http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf02233jf.jpg

Just as we were about to throw the towel in...for today. We noticed a chair leg in the pile,this was a natural spindle looking chair leg,so thought, what the heck and stuck it in the cordless screwdriver.....With top results

:D http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf02242mi.jpg :D

Granted we did cheat with technology(cordless) but it told us the splindle we were using was wrong,and we dont know what typeof wood the chair leg is :(

Can anybody see anything which our untrained eyes cant :eek:

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
If you're anywhere near Edinburgh I can probably spare a bit of time somewhere to show you the ropes - of course it all depends on dates and times as the end of April is always a busy time for me with Beltane celebrations coming up! :D

PM me and I'll see what I can do...

(I guess that goes for anyone else in or around Edinburgh too :rolleyes: )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE