can anyone recommend me.....

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
a good 3/4 season sleeping bag that packs up small and is light to carry.
i have an army issue bag at the mo, dont get me wrong its great and really warm.
but the problem is that its most of the bulk and weight of my pack and I really want to lighten my load.
all help and links would be great :)
thanx

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I agree with Dave, down is the way to go but even a modern synthetic design will be more compact than the army issue bag.

I had a Snugpak Elite 4 which was a great bag and not too bulky for it's warmth

Alpkit do some good down bags at very reasonable prices, when you compare their specs with the competitors they're hard to ignore.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
thanx you guys this has been very helpful, gonna see if i can take look at what you have all recommended to me in shop so I can see the up front, and then check online for the best deal :)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
This is something I've been thinking of for awhile, going down a lightweight/ multi puropse route and having a half length sleeping bag [down filled] combined with a down jacket. So in the day if it's cold I can wear the jacket and at night wear the jacket and have my legs/ lower torso cover with the 1/2 sleeping bag.

Also to reduce weight further by only having the top and sides of the sleeping bag insulated leaving the bottom [which is compressed, and loses insulating properties, by laying on it] uninsulated. I had a thought that 200g of 800+ down would be sufficent to give a reasonably warm bag given the insulation is only on the top.

[this or course is all pure speculation and as such is open to being shot down :)]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE