Can Anyone Identify This?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
A few weeks ago I was walking along a forestry track when I spotted some sort of spiky growth on the trunk of a tree. I took a couple of photos but thought it might just have need a load of pine needles stuck to a sap oozing wound on the tree. It wasn't until I saw the same thing sprouting out of a beech stump on the "Ultimate Fungi Thread" that I realised all may have not been as I first thought.

Anyway, here it is and can anyone shed some light on what it may be please?

TreeGrowth1_zpsadb07dea.jpg
TreeGrowth2_zps71d5af02.jpg

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Nope sorry Shewie, It looked nothing like that and didn't fit the description.

Joking aside Mountainm it actually did look a bit like a huge rolled up hedgehog. Or a rolled up coconut mat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a Witch's Nest.

Basically it's a pathogen that causes cell growth, but it's abnormal cell growth so it's got bark and twigs and leaf bud genes all growing nuts.
It doesn't kill the tree, and it's rarely tight enough to be called a burr, but it's kind of cool to see one so discrete on a trunk.

Well, that's what I think it is.....arboreal hedgehog sounds better :)

M

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Sorry Shewie I guess you were so credit to you too. It was just that the link didn't really explain what I saw and so I dismissed it.

Next time I see one I might see about taking a look inside.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sorry Shewie I guess you were so credit to you too. It was just that the link didn't really explain what I saw and so I dismissed it.

Next time I see one I might see about taking a look inside.

I see what we call witches hats around here but only little ones in birches, there's one wood I visit and there's all sorts in there. There's a scrawny birch tree which can only be 4" in diameter but it's got a huge great burl growing about 5 feet from the ground, it must be a good 18" across.

Reading about those gall rust spores, I've seen a few patches of trees with an orange fungus on them, I wonder if it's the same thing?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Always wondered what caused these, even when I was an arbor student many years ago they weren't quite sure

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
is it not a woodland wasp nest? I don't know too much about them. From my understanding they are solitary and burrow a hole in the tree to live. The tree tries to fight the infection. It can come out as a burl or something similar to that I believe.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
No, it was nothing like that. I did go back and visit the tree again and gave it a good look over and it seems to be what Mary suggested. It seems like several thousand pine needles are growing from the trunk.

My missus informs me that a similar thing can happen in humans. We can develop a tumour called a teratoma that can differentiate into any tissue in the body. Most commonly teeth, skin, hair, gut, etc. As a trainee Pathologist she managed to find 15 different types of tissue in one tumour.:eek:

I'm guessing this is the plant equivalent??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE