can anyone identify this steel? possibly turning this into a knife!

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Having made a knife with the karesuando kit I'd like to have a go at making my own blade. I have an old file marked with "Magic Steel, Sheffield" and a little witch riding a broomstick. Any ideas on what this steel is likely to be and if it's any good for knife making?

I can upload a pic later if necessary...

Perhaps this is a very silly question but if you don't ask you'll never know and remain the fool forever!

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
You proberbly no this, but make sure you anneal the file first bud.
most files are great for this, but a farrier rasp works out a treat, and I think there 1095 or 1075 but I could be wrong, but there are some great knives made with those mate.
as for your file I'm not sure, but an old Nicholson, is a great file for this type of knife too mate.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Thanks Lee. It was seeing your work that inspired me to have a go myself! I know the very basics about annealing, heat treatment and so forth. Just wasn't so sure about the actual grade of steel I have and if I was likely to be wasting my time!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
files are either case hardened (ie hard outer with soft mild steel cores) and not of any use, or they are a high carbon tool steel of some sort (different makers use various alloys, including) O1, silver steel, W2, 1095, CS100).

If it put the file in a vice with an inch sticking out and then smack it with a hammer (wearing goggles). if it snaps cleanly then it is good if it just bends over then it is bad ;)

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
files are either case hardened (ie hard outer with soft mild steel cores) and not of any use, or they are a high carbon tool steel of some sort (different makers use various alloys, including) O1, silver steel, W2, 1095, CS100).

If it put the file in a vice with an inch sticking out and then smack it with a hammer (wearing goggles). if it snaps cleanly then it is good if it just bends over then it is bad ;)

Now thats a test even I can understand :D

Cheers dave!

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham

dave mate, that's great, will remember that for ever.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Finally having some free time to head out to the shed, I gave it a hit with the biggest lump hammer I had and managed to get it to chip off as opposed to bending. My vice isnt the best, somewhat limiting how hard I could smack it without having it fling up back at me but a chip is a chip I guess?! I can post a pic later.
I'll look into annealing now and see what I can do.

I like simple ;) Also, I like anything that can be fixed/tested by twatting it with a hammer!

n.b. the goggles are for you to wear, not the hammer (it doesn't have any eyes to protect)

you haven't had several Years of HAndy Manny and his Hammer Pat Have you

Disney_handy_manny_(1)2.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE