Can anyone id this insect ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Got a visit from our neighbours cat this morning. He came bearing gifts, the grateful fellow that he is. 3 mice at first, which was nice. Followed by a huge insect, which i can seem to identify. Probably because i know nothing about insects. Apologies for the crap photograph, and for the condition of the insect. it got fairly chewed by the cat, and a foot. I have a couple of other pic's if needed.. :

Attachments

• big insect2.jpg
    big insect2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 159
Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Cicada's a sort of beetle or grasshoppery type thing isn't it? And i dont think we get those in blighty, to the best of my rather scant knowledge. Must admit this morning i thought it might be a sort of hornet or something, but on reflection it wouldn't appear to be that.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I think the wings are different on this one. Also the size is about 4.5 cm long - which is pretty big for an insect over here, and marginally bigger than the stated max size for the cicada.And the "face " is slightly different.
I might be wrong, but my gut feeling is that it is something else.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Tekeeler said:
I think it may be a clearwing lunar hornet moth. Its a type of sun loving moth with no sting. Seen them in woodland in Kent before so I see no reason why you couldn't have them there. Just a thought.

http://www.habitas.org.uk/moths/photo.asp?item=5686

Quite similar, but my corpse doesn't appear to have the "wing fringe", and it does have large staing eyes :eek: .
A view from another angle :

Attachments

• insect view 3.jpg
    insect view 3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 145
T

Tekeeler

From that angle I agree its not a lunar hornet, but it still does shout moth at me. What were the colours on the thorax? Its a bit hard to discern from the blue.

Gail

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2005
Surrey
I've just consulted my book and looks very much like Tabanus Bromius - a 14mm long species of horse-fly -says in the book it can inflict a painful bite on humans. :eek:

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Gail said:
I've just consulted my book and looks very much like Tabanus Bromius - a 14mm long species of horse-fly -says in the book it can inflict a painful bite on humans. :eek:

Hi gail, i can see where your coming from, but alas, at 14mm it would be a tiddler compared to this. It's about 45mm long !! :eek: :eek: :eek: A bite from a 45mm horse fly would probably take your leg off !!

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Tekeeler said:
From that angle I agree its not a lunar hornet, but it still does shout moth at me. What were the colours on the thorax? Its a bit hard to discern from the blue.

It was a yellowy brown colour - more yellow i would say. This pic is **** poor, but it does show the colour. ( damn camera)...:

Attachments

• insect 5.jpg
    insect 5.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 107

Wavey Davey

Jul 8, 2005
Suffolk
It's certainly a bit of a tricky one. If it's only got one set of prominent wings it's going to belong to the Flies and Wasps etc I think. 2 pairs and it can be a Moth which as someone else has said is what my gut feeling is as well. Wings look clear because all the scales have been rubbed (chewed) off. Antenna look right for a female moth. Size would possibly indicate a type of Hawkmoth. But the eyes don't seem right for anything! Sorry probably not being much help........
Wavey.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Hi Toddy, i can see where your going with the Ginormous horse fly - overall size is about the same - wish i had better pics of the beastie. Also have to concede to VS on the shape of the abdomen though... :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE