can any wood be used for tool handles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
OK, I know the norm, everyone will say the same thing the books say, Ash.

My question is this:
I'm looking at making a shovel handle and mallet handle from scratch, could I make the handles form other wood such as sycamore or willow?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I would imagine both those woods would be too soft for a shovel handle. Ash is recommended as it's very strong, maybe other hard woods or harder than willow anyway. No idea if alder or birch could be used.. certainly a good question, hopefully someone else know knows a lot more will answer soon.

Cheers,

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
any wood can be used for tool handles, it's just some are better than others ;)

You could make your shovel and mallet handles from willow, sycamore, oak, hawthorn, etc if you like. A sycamore shovel handle will not last very long if you leave it out, but it will still work alright. Willow might be worth a go, you don't see many broken cricket bats. Not tried it myself though I have to admit

I've got a pitch fork that has a 1 1/2" diameter hazel pole as a handle, it was a temporary measure half way through a day's work about 2 years ago. I know that when I come to use it one day the handle will snap off coz it's not the best wood around, but it took about 10 minutes to remove the old stump and fit the pole whereas an ash handle would've taken the time to go to the workshop and fit the handle (that would've been bought for £X or spent Xhours making the handle). So for me at least, the wrong wood is still more cost effective for that tool handle

Also, once you've made your first handle it won't take so long for you to do it next time. So if you decide that actually the willow/sycamore is really rubbish, you can still replace it with ash later without waisting wood on a dodgy first attempt;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Ah you speak wise words!
it's worth it just to gain the skills anyway, willow or sycamore it is!

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
willow would be a good choice for a first try or tempery handle not only because they are more easily available but because it is very easy to work with. the better woods such as ash, oak and elm are hard!

another tip, with ash you can do most of the shaping and fitting while it is still green because of its very low moisture content. other woods with higher water contents such as birch and willow (as well as some of the better woods such as elm) will shrink and warp as they dry out. i made this mistake with my first axe which i used birch and the eye shrunk making a loose fit.

have fun!:)

pete

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
Willow is great, it is a very strong wood when dry. Down here in Devon the old boys would often use willow up to 6 foot long for there Devon shovels. Willow has a good feel and grip to it. The other advantage is that they could easily find just the right piece, so only a little bit of cleaning up needed to be done

The best way to learn about woods is to use them.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Willow is great, it is a very strong wood when dry. Down here in Devon the old boys would often use willow up to 6 foot long for there Devon shovels. Willow has a good feel and grip to it. The other advantage is that they could easily find just the right piece, so only a little bit of cleaning up needed to be done

The best way to learn about woods is to use them.

I have just carved a 2/3 scale fen shovel out of willow (crack willow) for my son. It is going to have tin folded round the edge. I was just trying out the form and happened to have plenty of willow available. But your post has made me think it will actually be OK as a user. You must post some pictures of these old boys with there devon shurvells (or however they pronouce it....:)) Is there any specific species they use? I can get cricket bat willow as well.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
How bought hickory? Geez I always thought of willow or at least I was told it was crap wood to soft or is that just what I am used to seeing where I live weeping willow?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
How bought hickory? Geez I always thought of willow or at least I was told it was crap wood to soft or is that just what I am used to seeing where I live weeping willow?

Hickory would be great advice if he was in the US. Willow is soft but that is not necessarily a problem. What is required of a tool handle is just the right level of springyness not hardness. Too hard and no spring and it will jar the hand in use. I wouldn't use willow for an felling axe handle but would be quite happy with it for a shovel and better than sycamore which is rather hard and has shorter fibres, less springy.

Devon shovels are actually the sort of shovels that are used in 90% of the world, the ones shaped like a playing card spade with a long handle that means you can use them whilst standing with a straight back and brace and pivot them across you thigh. I suspect in a race a man would move slightly more slightly faster with a typical English shovel but his back takes more of the strain.

SUSHO22174_3.jpg

http://www.ferndale-lodge.co.uk/Shop/Traditional+Devon+Shovel+581552.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE