Can a choil be ground out?

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Afternoon everyone! sorry for my ignorance on this in advance!

I have a knife which has quite a large choil on it which I personally dont like! can a choil be ground to extend the cutting edge or will that particular part not be tempered?

Cheers

Jon

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Well the steel in the region of the choil will most probably be as hard as the edge, so it shouldn't be a problem from that point of view, but it will depend a lot on the shape of the blade and the choil whether or not you can get a satisfactory extension to the edge.

Is there a reason why you don't just trade it on and find a knife more to your liking?

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
as Ged said, you could do it, but run the risk of ruining the blade and maybe temper, why not sell it on and buy again or make your own?????

worth a thought....:)

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Well the steel in the region of the choil will most probably be as hard as the edge, so it shouldn't be a problem from that point of view, but it will depend a lot on the shape of the blade and the choil whether or not you can get a satisfactory extension to the edge.

Is there a reason why you don't just trade it on and find a knife more to your liking?

Thanks ged, the the knife was a present a few years back so I don't really want to get rid of it, I also have just aquired another knife that I was thinking about getting the edge re-profiled and thought that if I found someone on here willing to undertake the commision that I could if possible get both knives sorted at the same time! :)
And obviously if not then I will consider selling them on!

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I think you may be confusing the issue by calling the problem area a choil ;) Far more likely that the knife has a large ricasso. (Blunt bit between the handle and the start of the cutting edge at the plunge)
A large choil is a semi-circular cut-out for your finger to sit in if you 'choke up' on the blade (hold the knife forward of the handle).

If it is a large ricasso, then it can be ground out. I have done this for several customers on their knives, extending the cutting edge backwards towards the handle by as much as nearly an inch on some knives.
Grinding a finished knife in this way has to be done extremely carefully so as not to allow the blade to get too hot and spoil the temper, and inevitably results in having to loose a couple of mm or so of blade width along the cutting edge. This is because of having to blend the new bit of cutting edge in to the existing edge. With a full re-grind like this, done properly, you will hardly ever actually notice this loss of width though, and it will bring the cutting edge back to a lot closer to the handle.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
I think you may be confusing the issue by calling the problem area a choil ;) Far more likely that the knife has a large ricasso. (Blunt bit between the handle and the start of the cutting edge at the plunge)
A large choil is a semi-circular cut-out for your finger to sit in if you 'choke up' on the blade (hold the knife forward of the handle).

If it is a large ricasso, then it can be ground out. I have done this for several customers on their knives, extending the cutting edge backwards towards the handle by as much as nearly an inch on some knives.
Grinding a finished knife in this way has to be done extremely carefully so as not to allow the blade to get too hot and spoil the temper, and inevitably results in having to loose a couple of mm or so of blade width along the cutting edge. This is because of having to blend the new bit of cutting edge in to the existing edge. With a full re-grind like this, done properly, you will hardly ever actually notice this loss of width though, and it will bring the cutting edge back to a lot closer to the handle.

Ah! sorry, my knowledge on knifes roughly consists of the one end you hold and the other end you cut with! :) So is it really worth it, or should I stop being sentimental over a pice of metal and just move it along and get another?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Ah! sorry, my knowledge on knifes roughly consists of the one end you hold and the other end you cut with! :)

Well, no harm done... :)

So is it really worth it, or should I stop being sentimental over a pice of metal and just move it along and get another?

Like you, I'm not a big fan of a large ricasso.

A while back I had a knife made by a newish maker, based on a design he'd shown here on BCUK. I specifically asked for the ricasso on my knife to be trimmed back quite a bit more than the one on the design he'd originally shown.

When I received the knife, I was disappointed that he hadn't done what I asked with the ricasso, but the knife was otherwise very well done, and considering the price (it was a real bargain and I told him so) I didn't feel that it was worth going back to him about it.

It's about a year since I got it, and I've always kept it by the wood burner, hanging on the wood basket in a lovely double-dangler sheath made by another guy on this forum. The knife has a full flat grind, and I use it most mornings for splitting wood to make kindling, at which it excels. Sometimes I baton but mostly just firm hand pressure is enough, and that doesn't wake the wife. :)

I can honestly say that the fact that the ricasso is larger than what I really wanted has been absolutely no problem at all, and to be even more honest I wonder if my preference isn't more a matter of aesthetics than practicality. I just don't like the look of a large ricasso, but, dammit, the edge has to stop somewhere.

No, don't stop being sentimental about it, that's what makes humans human. I have lots of tools that I'm very sentimental about. The old hammer that was my dad's, the knife that I've had since I was in the Cubs (also by the wood burner, but we never did find out what mum did with the sheath before she died so it's wrapped in an old cloth), a Tramontina machete that had its handle chewed by a favourite dog, also long since dead. Any of these would fetch between twenty-five pence and a couple of quid in a car boot sale, but if I had to choose between the Tramontina and my Stuart Mitchell in RWL34 I'd take the Tramontina with its chewed-up handle without hesitation. I can get another Deval Bushcrafter easily enough but that dog will never again show me how much he loves the taste of my sweat.

If the sentimental value of the knife is important, then before doing anything at all to it I'd recommend getting another knife like it, if necessary modifying that one instead, and see what -- if any -- difference it makes.

Just my 2 currency units.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE