Campsites in Surrey/Sussex/Hampshire

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
We've been to Riverside Lakes a couple of times. Nice friendly campsite. Low on facilities (just a toilet block) but they allow camp fires (in recognised fire pits),hire out braziers and sell logs. You can also hire semi-permanent glamping tents. I don't think you'll be able to use hammocks. Worth a look? Here the link.

Sorry, just realised this campsite is in East Dorset, rather than Hampshire.....but only just down the road from Ringwood.

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
This one allows fires and hammocks, just 10 minutes away from me and I haven't used it as it seems too close to home to be a proper camping trip !

http://www.inwoodcamping.co.uk/

Was thinking of suggesting it for a group meet and/or likewise on the hammock forum.

Cheers, Paul

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Hmmm, not so sure now Gooner :(

By coincidence I happened to email them in the last week or two to check on prices and ask about any group discounts for any forums or facebook groups, and was a bit disheartened with the reply !

Pricing first of all is apparently set to actively discourage short one or two night stays, so althought the normal price is £15 per person per night, there is a minimum of £25 per person per night for a two or less night stay if I've understood correctly, so £50 for a Fri/Sat night stay.

And although they allow campfires and hammocks, hold bushcraft classes and have been promoted on here looking for summer live in bushcrafter type people to help them, this is the response I got to my email enquiry (when I did get a response after chasing up after a week or two):-

While we interested in Bushcraft and teaching it, the site is very family orientated and there not necessarily ideal for hard core bushcrafters. They are welcome but our pricing is probably not attractive. Lone bushcrafters can also be a bit intimidating
Sorry but this is where we are currently at

This is very much in contrast to cybercurly's (Mark's) posts (he works for them or is joint owner or something) where he does seem supportive and encouraging us to check them out, so all a bit confusing and mixed messages really, don't quite know what to make of it to be honest !

I've let Mark know I was a bit confused by the response from John (owner, not sure?) and it was suggested I drop by for a cuppa and a chat sometime, (it's only five minutes away !), so I'll probably do that at some stage, but even if John gets comfortable that not everybody is a hardcore bushcrafter type, whatever that is, and intimidating (!), the prices work as they are designed to do it seems and makes it very unattractive for short weekend stays.

I guess there may have been some bad experiences in the past perhaps, I'm sure John isn't taking the approach he is without reason and guess we just have to respect that and look elsewhere.

The contrast with somewhere like Badgells Wood is like chalk and cheese, they offer the same kind of setup and couldn't have been more welcoming to a small group from the Hammock Forum recently, Mike the site manager even joined us in his own hammock for a night and a beer or two, but that's obviously in Kent so great for those out east but a slight stretch from Hampshire ! I forget the rates there too, but don't think it was more than a tenner a night or I would remember !

Cheers, Paul

Last edited:

Gooner

Forager
Feb 27, 2014
Kent
Sounds like one to cross off the list Paul.
Badgells does seem like the perfect set up what with family and adult sections if needed, also price was better.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Yep, sadly so mate, shame, but it is what it is I guess.....

By the way, I've been using that truckers hitch knot you showed me for tensioning the tarp line, works a treat, thanks :)

Cheers, Paul

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I think I may have misunderstood the Inwood pricing and the way it works ?

There is a £25 per night minimum fee for a booking but I think that's only a problem if people booked individually and that if a group booking was made then it's only the usual £15 a night each as the minimum booking fee for the group exceeds £25 ? In other words I think it's designed to discourage solo campers only ?

I've been down there this weekend and had a chat with Mark (cybercurly), very helpful and friendly, and had a good walk round and it would be a great venue. I should have clarified the above with him but I only really figured it out just now !

Cheers, Paul

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Had a nice weekend at inwood camping. Big site, plenty of other campers, but plenty of space to not feel crowded. The tap by our pitch had been stolen, so we had a long walk for water. The loo's, even the composting ones, were ok. At 15 quid a night it's not a cheap place to stay. But given the prices for some campsites that don't allow fires, not too unreasonable.

Cheers for the recommendation.

Julia

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Glad you liked it Julia, suitable for a group meet some time perhaps ?

It's only five minutes away from me but seems like we swapped places as I'm just back from a long weekend in Kent !

Which part of the site did you use ? The areas of pine trees looked particularly good for hammocks, but quite a mix of other types of areas too.

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE