Camping

Dec 26, 2009
UK
Hi,

I was wondering if one can camp anywhere in the woods, or are there any rules/conditions that apply for camping, lighting fires (for cooking, heat, light), etc?

Cheers.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Wild camping is certainly frowned upon, and I think a search will probably find it illegal in many places.

:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It depend where you're talking about.

In a nutshell .....

England - No (apart from a few areas such as Dartmoor and The Lakes above the intake walls) - No fires though
Wales - No
Ireland - No
Scotland - Yes (read the Scottish Access agreement for details)

Best to get permission anywhere though, if you can have a talk to landowners near you even better. Always ask permission before camping out and especially if you're lighting a fire. All sorts of nasty trespass laws and serious wrist slaps from the courts if you don't.

It depend where you're talking about.

In a nutshell .....

England - No (apart from a few areas such as Dartmoor and The Lakes above the intake walls) - No fires though
Wales - No
Ireland - No
Scotland - Yes (read the Scottish Access agreement for details)

Best to get permission anywhere though, if you can have a talk to landowners near you even better. Always ask permission before camping out and especially if you're lighting a fire. All sorts of nasty trespass laws and serious wrist slaps from the courts if you don't.

Why are the laws in the UK so draconian?

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Two words; Enclosures Act

Can't remember the date, but in a nutshell it parcels up all land in the UK into plots owned either privately or by church and/or state.

This is a generalisation, of course and no doubt some one will be along shortly to elaborate and/or put me straight. ;-)

Cheers, Alan.

As a parting shot, considering our population density might this now actually be a good thing? Discuss.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Why are the laws in the UK so draconian?

Because we are so densely populated that there is less than one acre of land for every person in Britain. As such its a rare and intensively managed resource. Whre the landi is comparatively poor in agricultural terms (moor and mountain) wider access is generally permitted. Where it is needed for food, fuel and other resources, this is deemed more important than hobbies.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE