Camping Quilts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Does anyone use a Camping Quilt rather than a Sleeping Bag??

They seem thin on the ground in the UK.

I did think about making my own, but I know nothing about sewing so I decided that was a nonstarter.

I've seen a few on US websites but they seem more expensive than a Sleeping Bag..

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get one ??? even a secondhand one ??

Thanks in Advance

MickT

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Does anyone use a Camping Quilt rather than a Sleeping Bag??

They seem thin on the ground in the UK.

I did think about making my own, but I know nothing about sewing so I decided that was a nonstarter.

I've seen a few on US websites but they seem more expensive than a Sleeping Bag..

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get one ??? even a secondhand one ??

Thanks in Advance

MickT

Mick,
I really hope that was intended as a pun!
I haven't used one myself, but from what I've read, they make a lot of sense. In doing away with the crushed (and hence useless) insulation below your body, they ought to be a bit lighter/smaller.
Don't let your lack of sewing knowledge stop you from having a go, you'll soon pick up what you need to do - in all honesty, sewing is just the same as lacing your shoes!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
here's one:rolleyes: http://santafe.craigslist.org/spo/1239780926.html

You could do all the prep work yourself and then hand it over to someone else for the sewing parts maybe?

I can see advantages to a quilt for sleeping 2 people, shared heat without the confines of two bags zipped together, but other than doing away with a zipper I'm not sure what it is that a 'Ray-way' style quilt can do that an unzipped mummy bag can not. I use my bag 'quilt' style all the time but need to 'zip-up' on occasion and so am glad the zipper and bottom of the bag is there, even if the insulation is flattened.

String ties sewn onto a blanket, like a US army poncho liner, kind of turns blanket into bag, blanket could also be cut and tapered.

Ray says "the functionality of the ray-way quilt is unsurpassed".
Bravo4 says "the functionality of the blanket is unsurpassed". :dunno:

Weight savings seems to be the main advantage of quilts, making your own gear would probably be the other.:)

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Have contacted Ray Jardine they look good but I've just got to get my head round learning to sew:rolleyes:
There is also this one

If I buy the patterns I could probably get the materials over here.

The thin on the Ground thing was just the way I put it to mean there are not a lot about, I realised what I'd put but thought I would leave it as it was;)

Another one but I think a synthetic one would be easier >> http://thru-hiker.com/projects/down_quilt.php

MickT

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What is the difference between a camping quilt and what you have on your bed?

or an unzipped sleeping bag?

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I use a JRB down quilt, weighing 15oz

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Wearable Quilts.htm
With thermals, it has taken me comfortably to freezing. You can also wear it as an insulated poncho. I would, but I sit round the fire all evening and would hate to melt it!

The difference between a camping quilt and the quilt on your bed is a foot pocket, to keep it sliding off you during the night.
The snugpac one weighs around the kg mark, better to go for a down filled one from JRB if weight and bulk are your primary concern.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
So it would be childs play to convert one?

I have a great aversion to bags, I much prefer a blanket. however I have only really camped in warm weather, late spring/early autumn at worst.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Tengu,

I can't stand a bag either and usse one unzipped as a blanket. What kind of blankets do you use - does anyone do a "camping" blanket?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE