camping pods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
One thing that gets me about these is that I suspect they are more labour intensive than building a rectangular shed whilst providing less internal space.

I still like them, they're cute and there's obviously a market for them. I sort of feel that I should be knocking them up in batches in a mates shed to flog to other people.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
One thing that gets me about these is that I suspect they are more labour intensive than building a rectangular shed whilst providing less internal space.

I still like them, they're cute and there's obviously a market for them. I sort of feel that I should be knocking them up in batches in a mates shed to flog to other people.

I inderstand what you mean about space efficiency, but sometimes form wins over function...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think they are like pig arks and really would prefer a little log cabin. (I stayed in one as a child on a winter holiday and loved it.)

AdeInTokyo

Feb 13, 2016
Tokyo, Japan

Could offer some advantages when it comes to dealing with snow load, and weather proofing.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Could offer some advantages when it comes to dealing with snow load, and weather proofing.

Depends what pitch goes on the roof of the rectangular shed and weather proofing is easy enough.
I do it on houses, commercial properties and outbuildings.

Don't get me wrong, I like the look of these pods but if I'm building a shed to actually use myself I'd build it with more plumb walls (they only have the two ends plumb and possibly an internal partition) that I can put shelves on with ease.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I think when people are camping the experience is enhanced by being surrounded by more organic shapes. Perhaps curved walls are less efficient but I think they are more pleasing.

AdeInTokyo

Feb 13, 2016
Tokyo, Japan
Depends what pitch goes on the roof of the rectangular shed and weather proofing is easy enough.
I do it on houses, commercial properties and outbuildings.

Don't get me wrong, I like the look of these pods but if I'm building a shed to actually use myself I'd build it with more plumb walls (they only have the two ends plumb and possibly an internal partition) that I can put shelves on with ease.
Definetly, square walls are more useful.

I was just thinking of the old bomb shelters, they used a similar system for its added strength.

9bf32be4c6bd7ebfb386a476c9db784c.jpg

fcbc7290f3cc32e0a2267438d191dbb4.jpg

The continuous curve acts like an arch and keystone. The forces are directed to the foundations smoothly. This plus the curved roof would make snow less likely to gather and therefore build up.

As for waterproofing... A slanted flat roof is simpler and cheaper.

But the slant for snow to slide off would have to be up above 40° other advantages would come from the better volume to surface ratio. This has advantages when it comes to heating and insulation costs. (not counting installation costs)

All this being said, these are all mostly academic, as the uk doesn't see enough snow to collapse the average garden shed, and most people are not looking to save a few pence on heating at the cost of shelves and more usable space.

I think these are more a form over function idea, building on the old anderson bomb shelters and Arctic style tents. Which were designed to be quick and cheap to put up.

f953f2113e8c756c321b1ddf748f9d0d.jpg

61b6d030defdb8b976a6ac4fcbc99862.jpg

cussj001

May 8, 2017
sussex
Although not really a camping pod, I am thinking about getting a log cabin installed in ur garden to used as an office...

Creative Living the suppliers I am looking at have an interactive tour on their site, opinions on these would be great!

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE