Camping Pods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone stayed in one? Seen that NT Great Langdales and Wasdale sites even have lights, electricity and heating in their pods. Thinking a great way to "camp" out in winter with a little one and the other half. Both of whom I would have trouble keeping warm.

Looking into a late Autumn cycle trip with them too. Since I'm a novice I reckon using one of these with heating instead of taking a tent. Still need to choose a tent and might not like touring with the bike fully laden so holding off on a tent until I know.

What do you think about these pods? I know the Great Langdales campsite well and those pods have an amazing view. That whole campsite is pretty good. The NT Low Wray site is not as nice but they do great pizzas in the wood fired oven there. The pods there have not heat or lighting.

Anyway, I'm curious about people's input and views on this.

Outlaw13

Nov 20, 2013
Nottingham
Yep. I use the ones at the National Diving Centre in Chepstow all the time when I'm down there diving. It's nice to be able to move around a little bit. You don't get the same feeling as being under canvas though but it's be a great introduction to the outdoors for your family.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We camp a lot in the better weather but with heated pods I can see them as a good way of extending the season. We can wrap a toddler up for outdoors activities but at some point we'll need a warm room for him. A tent is not that even with electric hookup with a heater. We think anything less than about 3 to 4C needs insulation.

Anyone use one in the colder months? I know some Lakes based pods use sheep's wool insulation. There's a Cumbrian company that uses wool that is not good enough for clothes or other uses so they convert it into roll form. I think a local pod maker uses it. I think it should be warm enough for winter.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Used one in Scotland that had an electric heater, fridge, kettle etc. loved it. The one I stopped in had it's own fire pit too.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've thought about buying one in an area/site I like, then rent it out when I'm not using it to off set some of the cost. But I do need to do a fair bit more research into them first.

Rob

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The only negative I have heard is the risk of getting a noisy and incosiderate group in the next pod which can spoil your trip. The pods themselves get good reviews.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
My wife, kids and myself stayed in a pod in Glenshee earlier this year.

http://www.ecocampglenshee.co.uk/book/book.php

There was 5 of us so a bit tight for sleeping (but manageable).

Outside temp was a fair bit below zero a couple of the nights and hard frost on the ground in the morning. It was lovely & toasty warm in the pods though...only a couple of times we needed to put the heating on but literally for 20 minutes then back off. (tended to be when we opened the door that the heat escaped as it's a single room pod).

I'm pretty confident you'd be warm in all but the harshest weather.

The pods we stayed in had human sized dog bed type matresses which were seriously comfy. Fire pits were available as well as bags of firewood.

Absolutely cracking trip...I'd recommend it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE