Camping mat for B&B/hotel use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Not quite as daft as it sounds.......

Just got back from Italy and had a great time - lots of immersion in really daily Italian life etc - but once again the edge was taken off the holiday by the 'stiff-as-a-board' beds. We also find this a problem when staying away in UK but it seems to be a particular problem for us in Italy.

So I was thinking of taking some kind of camping mat. BUT it needs to be small and low weight - I usually fly Ryanair and you only get a 10kg cabin baggage allowance and there are volume restrictions too.

My thoughts at this stage are:

EITHER:

(a) cheapo lilo type blow up mat £s (not many)- as insulation is not an issue (it will be used on a bed) but is quite thick - not got one yet so can't be sure

OR

(b) Alpkit Aero 120 £35:

Real World Packed Weight (gr) 439
Realistic Rolled size (cm): 28 x 14

Thinner (2.5 cms) and not full length but should protect hips and shoulders from soreness. Easier to use and more useful as also usable when sitting on airport floors (eg Treviso)

But just wondered if anyone else has already thought about/experienced the same problem and come up with a really good solution.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
How about getting some foam from an upholstery shop in your desired thickness.

Then put it one of those vacuum sealing bags that are used for storing bulky items under beds.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Tried sleeping on the lilo type blow things and i ended up wet through with sweat the following morning.
What with squeaks and it squashing every time you move i wouldn't recommend one of those for a good nights sleep.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Tried sleeping on the lilo type blow things and i ended up wet through with sweat the following morning.
What with squeaks and it squashing every time you move i wouldn't recommend one of those for a good nights sleep.

Higher Management said she had to use them when camping as a kid and wouldn't use them again - so we are trying an Alpkit base 120 - £25 inc P&P - welll worth it if it gives a good night's sleep when on holiday

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE