Camping in Desmond!

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
As many of you will know, we are in the middle of a named storm (desmond) and not doing things by half myself, johnie and our mutual mate Carl are out in it! The river is very high and has burst the bank in many places but moral is as always high! Same couldn't be said on the walk in but great night so far. Pics to follow tomorrow as always folks! We're experiencing very high winds and some rain but that's what it's all about to us!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Haha, you better believe it Richard! Issue I have though is I'm ground dwelling tonight. Do me a favour old bean and have the footmen bring us a boat!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Sorry old chap I'm using the footmen as draft excluders lay outside the mansion.... There's a terrible wind out tonight don't you know?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Well I know the manor must be a bugger to heat! The wind seems to have died back a little but I've just been informed by bod the river is 1m under the highest ever level. Totally impassable now so glad we stayed this side of the river. Our usual spot is now underwater. Although combining scuba and bushcraft may be a laugh

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
We've resorted to a hobo stove to be honest as the ground is totally waterlogged. Working well though!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Well I know the manor must be a bugger to heat! The wind seems to have died back a little but I've just been informed by bod the river is 1m under the highest ever level. Totally impassable now so glad we stayed this side of the river. Our usual spot is now underwater. Although combining scuba and bushcraft may be a laugh

More water coming down Tyne towards you mate regardless of the rainfall as the north Tyne is at it's highest recorded levels at Bellingham, Reaverhill and the Chollerford reading is so far off the scale it is registering an unvalid reading, those are the three measuring stations of the north Tyne between Kielder and Hexham and you have got the same type of readings all the way from Alston to Haltwhistle on the south Tyne, i regularly monitor these so i can predict when the water is gonna be high enough for kayaking, haven't seen readings this high since 2012

River Tyne and tributaries

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Thanks for the heads up bod. Hopefully we should be safe on the area we're a good few meters above water levels. And same here rich lol

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Wind seems to be picking up again, we're hearing a lot of windfall round about, still laughing and joking around, if nothing at the absurdity of the trip!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Not satisfied with camping out in the snow with the smallest tarp I've seen ever, but now you're in the eye of a storm!

You're a nutter Mick... plain and simple! lol

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It is my considered opinion that you're nuts….good nuts, but nuts :D
I love being out in the wind :eek:

Stay safe, have fun, sleep sound :D……and do mind and let us know tomorrow that you're not drowned !

atb,
M

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
We've not drown thankfully! Woken up to a beautiful morning, Desmond seems to have been rather damaging but hey ho that's nature. One of our party slept through the whole thing!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Morning :D

Good to hear you're all in the land of the living, and not trying to breathe with the fishes :cool:

It's all eerily calm here this morning. Sodden wet, and stripped clean somehow. I think we got off very lightly indeed.

I hope the waters go down enough that you can get home dry too :)

atb,
Toddy

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Morning :D

Good to hear you're all in the land of the living, and not trying to breathe with the fishes :cool:

It's all eerily calm here this morning. Sodden wet, and stripped clean somehow. I think we got off very lightly indeed.

I hope the waters go down enough that you can get home dry too :)

atb,
Toddy
Thanks for the good wishes toddy :) we'll have to take an alternative route back I think, but nothing to worry about it's all part of the adventure :). The amount of fallen trees here is a bit of an eye opener. I think had we not known what we where doing and pitched in the wrong place we could have been in trouble!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE