Camping Gaz V Calor? NO CONTEST!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Anyone care to try to explain why it costs £30-£40 to buy 2.5kg of camping gaz in a 907 cylinder, while it only costs £16.80 ish for 4.5kg of butane (exact same gas) from Calor?:confused:

The "new" (new as in:- a bottle that's been used 30-40 times at least already) start up costs are disgraceful for either brand but how on earth can camping gaz charge those sort of prices?.

Just wondering:)

Steve

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
A local UK company which from what i can see just sell bottles of gas vs a worldwide US company (french, but taken over by coleman, which i think is US?) which sells gas among other things like stoves, air beds, and some other things related to burning or gas (do it self things, coolers, lights) . Why would the worldwide US company with a diverse product range still be in service?

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apparently, if you go camping in europe, camping gaz is the only available butane gas supply or so I've been told anyway. I wouldn't expect to find "Calor" widely available in europe but you'd think there'd be a few outlets for it.

Last edited:

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Not the only one, but it's one of the ones you can find in practically any outdoor store. If i look at the possibilities near me, i have the choice between camping gaz (sold in all outdoor stores that i've been to here), jetboil (less frequent) and primus (also less frequent). Maybe (some stores) MSR too.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Yep, it must be around £4 kg versus £10, bulk is always better. I believe camping gaz is cheaper on the continent though as its widely used, callor is widely used here. 2.5kg of gas lasts a while though. And spare a thought for cannister users, they arrive at around £20 a kilo.

To be honest though if your going callor go propane ! Complety different kit needed though, so start as you mean to go on.

Edit:

Another thought

Campingaz isobutane, a4 cannisters

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-...-1&keywords=camping+gas+cartridges&th=1&psc=1

6kg for 30 quid ! 5 quid a kilo, so yep the refills seem bad value

Last edited:

andyluffs

Sep 29, 2016
Devon
IIRC Camping gaz wasn't much cheaper on the continent, just that all the camp sites and supermarkets sell it. Calor bottles aren't available to exchange (well not in france anyway), I think even the cost of start-up for a 4.5 kg bottle worked out less than a single refill of Camping Gaz!

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
If you're lucky enough to live anywhere near a butane/propane bulk and bottled depot or perhaps an autogas outlet; you may be able to obtain a refill for your bottle of choice(mine is a 7kg propane.) at(currently) around 55 pence per litre.(roughly 12.5 litres per 7kg bottle.) A lot cheaper option than peeing about with ickle tins. Mine refills at around £6.87 for the 7kg bottle-good value when compared to throwaways or small butane/propane exchange jobbies IMHO.

food for thought boysangirls:eek:

Tom.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE